1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Exhaust leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:23 PM
bvil
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak?

Hi
Anyone who has read a few of my other posts know that I’m repairing a 1998 Dodge neon everything was going fine (except a valve cover bolt but I think I got that fixed) anyway I purchased a head gasket set off ebay and it came with a exhaust flange gasket round type and I could not figure out how to use it and I know where it goes just not how to get it to fit and there wasn’t one on it when I took the exhaust pipe loose from the manifold so I just hook the pipe back without it. The gasket set also came with a exhaust manifold gasket there again when I took the manifold off it didn’t have a gasket either however the one in the set did fit so I put it on and today started it up only to have an exhaust leak from the manifold or the pipe where it bolts to the manifold so I guess my question is

Does a 98 Dodge neon require a exhaust flange gasket and if so how do you get it to fit? Because there was no way I could get it to fit my neon the pipe simply inserts up into the manifold and there was no room for a flange gasket to be inserted and the pipe had no spot for it to be placed on top of it.

And what’s the likelihood of me putting a manifold gasket on when it didn’t have one on it and (I go head and put one on there anyway) causing a leak. Cause I’m not sure if it requires one and someone simply forgot put one on there or its not suppose too have one and by me putting one on it I cause a leak.

Any Info would be great

Thanks

Old 04-16-2008, 10:03 PM
fsu182
Captain
Default RE: Exhaust leak?

neons need exhaust manifold gaskets. something musta got screwed up. did youbuy a gasket set for a neon 2.0 or did you order one for a 420a? make sure!! maybe thats why you got an extra gasket. i say that because my 99 dohc did not have an exhasut flange gasket when i took it off, and my head gasket set from advanced auto did not come with one.

if its a SOHC i dont know. i dont have one and i always forget some ppl do. lol.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SOHC exhaust manifolds don't come with the gasket, but you can use it.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:30 AM
DNeon
Professional

DOHCs dont need exhaust flange gaskets?

Old 04-18-2008, 01:27 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

its good to use one anyway.