1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

car is down (again) any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:31 PM
fsu182
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car is down (again) any thoughts?

My 99 DOHC ATX coupe blew up

The car overheated very badly three times on a trip. It kept blowing all the coolant out the overflow. The thermostat went bad. I took it out. The car drove for 45 minutes right after that at normal temperatures. Then it started to lose a little power. I downshifted - the motor popped. it sounded bad and felt like it had even less power. I let it out of gear. It shut off and blew oil out of the breather hole on the valve cover. It turns over but will not start. The Cam Gears move as do the accessory belts. It doesn't feel like the crank is moving. I dont know for sure though. I do know it doesnt feel like it use to when the car would turn over. I can hear little pop like noises from the engine when i try to start it. any ideas?

Old 04-20-2008, 10:38 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: car is down (again) any thoughts?

if the cams are turning while you try to crank the motor over, then the crank is turning as well...
remember...the starter turns the crank, timing belt makes the cams turn with the crank

maybe you blew the rings out...or cracked the head or sumthing....not getting enough compression for the car to run

Old 04-20-2008, 11:00 PM
fsu182
Captain

ok. thanks. i wasnt positive if the starter turned the crank or something else that turned it. so if im not getting compression i bet i cracked the head or blew the gasket. i had the valve cover off, and didnt see anything obvious from the inside. i guess ill have to tear it down to find out. school ends in three weeks....

so its a rebuild or another engine i guess....

honestly - probably going to part the car out or sell it at this point... dunno yet. unless i can find a cheaper 2.4

Old 04-24-2008, 02:16 PM
thedark69

If h head is cracked you will see it mostly between the valves or between the valves and the sparks, but i dont know why oil get out by the breater??

Quick Reply: car is down (again) any thoughts?