1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 Neon w/sohc no spark after cransk sensor change

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:16 AM
mopardeluxe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Neon w/sohc no spark after cransk sensor change

I just change the crank sensor in my 98 neon with a SOHC and now the darn thing won't start. it has no spark. what would be causing this problem and how would i go about fixing it. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:50 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 98 Neon w/sohc no spark after cransk sensor change

What about the cam sensor? Coil pack?

Old 04-22-2008, 07:31 PM
thedark69

I'm Not sure of what kind of sensor it is but i know what it does and how it work. This sensor say to the ECM( or ECU) which cylinder is ready to ignite. So, if you sensor is not close enought from the gear on your crank, not signal will be emited to your ECM. Then you got 2 sensor that may cause the problem, the TRS(Timing Reference Sensor) and the SRS(Synchro Reference Sensor). One of them is on the Camshaft (suposed) and the econd is on the crank. If the SRS doesnt work at all you engine will never start, but if the engine is started then it stop working the engine wont stop. But the TRS need to always work properly in all time. If you want to know if one of them doesnt work you can look for fault code. The way to do it is ( KEY ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON, OFF, then ON ) and watch the Service Engine Soon light, its suposed to light for 5 sec then start to flash. when it flash once then wait for 1 sec then flash twice it mean 12, if it flash 3 time then wait 1 sec and flash 6 times it mean 36. EVERY codes and spaced by 3 seconds, so its impossible you get the Fault Code 132 or what ever. Check This For More Info This . If you get no code exept 12 it mean you car is ok, but if doesnt start and there is no code you will need a OBD-Scanner to look at SRS and TRS counts and if your not a mechanic you will need to buy on for about 200$. THE easiest way with you engine problem is your local dealer!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:34 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: thedark69
SRS and TRS
They are called the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors. He said he changed the crank sensor and I suggested he look at the cam sensor next.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:19 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Did it run before u changed ur sensor?

Quick Reply: 98 Neon w/sohc no spark after cransk sensor change