1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Putting 1995 SOHC head on a 2.4 Block What should I know?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:58 AM
JackMehoffer69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting 1995 SOHC head on a 2.4 Block What should I know?

I'm going to be putting the motor together on Monday and what I need to know is if there is anything special as to putting it together.

Such as is the timing belt going to have to be from a 2.0 sohc correct? and the head should fit with no mods to pistons or block,correct?

I've heard that the 2.0 timing belt will work on the 2.4 while using a sohc head and if this is correct I will be ready to go in short order

Old 05-04-2008, 01:55 AM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker
Default RE: Putting 1995 SOHC head on a 2.4 Block What should I know?

as far as the timing belt goes... im not sure but the 2.0 will not work... the 2.4 block is an inch taller then the 2.0... so i dont know what timing belt you would use...

Old 05-04-2008, 10:14 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

It really is a pointless swap/conversion. Meaning that you are taking a stroked block and mating it with a head with poor flow characteristics, and hoping for what? Greatness? Now, I am not giving you a hard time, but it really doesn't add up. Now if you are shooting for the "unique" factor, well that is a playground with no fences. But for being a good platform, the dohc head should be left where it is. You'll spend even more to the the sohc head to make the power the dohc already provides. Heck, there is not a sohc cam big enough to make the numbers dohc cams do with a 2.4L. There have been three of these neons completed that I know of. mookie, Nemo, and someone else on org. Let's say they are maybe 15 of them out there somewhere. There is a reason this is not done often. Makes me think of a woman that is interesting, but RARELY not single. Looks ok, but never has a partner. Just gotta avoid them. Do not find out the hard way. Just my opinion, and I hope your project works out.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:39 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Okay. Well first off. I am very intersted in this project. Second. Jack Meoffer Has a bad lower end already and has a good sohc head.. So if it will work I think the sohc on the 2.4 would be tight. I think the the 2.4 with the sohc head on it will have more hp/tq then the dohc 2.4 because of the higher compression rating. The only reason the dohc is better is because you can get pull more power out of them and they upgrade better. But if he plans to keep it mostly stock, I think a sohc 2.4 sohc 10.6-1 in a neon would be a hell of a engine. 95-to96 brought up a good idea with the timing belt. WHat do you plan on doing about hat jack? And if a girl looks okay and she is never with a guy, I will always be there to take her home. No metter how big they are.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:28 PM
JackMehoffer69

ORIGINAL: Ghost Neon 2

It really is a pointless swap/conversion. Meaning that you are taking a stroked block and mating it with a head with poor flow characteristics, and hoping for what? Greatness? Now, I am not giving you a hard time, but it really doesn't add up. Now if you are shooting for the "unique" factor, well that is a playground with no fences. But for being a good platform, the dohc head should be left where it is. You'll spend even more to the the sohc head to make the power the dohc already provides. Heck, there is not a sohc cam big enough to make the numbers dohc cams do with a 2.4L. There have been three of these neons completed that I know of. mookie, Nemo, and someone else on org. Let's say they are maybe 15 of them out there somewhere. There is a reason this is not done often. Makes me think of a woman that is interesting, but RARELY not single. Looks ok, but never has a partner. Just gotta avoid them. Do not find out the hard way. Just my opinion, and I hope your project works out.
I'm not sure you read the part where I said my dohc head is broken, from what I understandthe motor was dropped 5 feet off the ground and fellon the head when the chain broke whileit was pulled and thats why I was able to buy it for cheap. I figure since I got whats left of the block for $50 and the block down is in perfect condition and its just the head thats screwed up I'd put a sohc head on from a back up motor and run more compression and power. On the .org there is one that is dyno proven at 198 wheel hp with only basic mods, this one has a better cam than the 95 sohc does thatI want to useas I think its a after market crane but I'd just be happy with whatever power and torque it makes because I know its going to be more than a 2.0 and anything more than a stock 2.0 is iceing on the cake.

Theres a big part of the aluminum head missing on the valve cover seat and it busted 1 ofthe valves out ofits valve guide when it fell so I just don't want to deal with fixing it since I don't have money for more than an mls gasket and head bolts.

I have a ported 1995 head that my dad ported for me this weekend and so I'm sure this thing will FLOW awesome! besides i only expect 200hp max out of this engine when I'm done modding it and I'm sure the sohc head is capable of that easily.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:40 PM
JackMehoffer69

ORIGINAL: I_Ride_Neon
But if he plans to keep it mostly stock, I think a sohc 2.4 sohc 10.6-1 in a neon would be a hell of a engine. 95-to96 brought up a good idea with the timing belt. WHat do you plan on doing about hat jack?
I love bucking the trends, but if its too much work to mod the sohc head on I'll swap my old head from my parts car on for now but I didn't want to take a good head off a running engine but if it comes to that then I'll do it.

from the little I've read it appears that the only thing you need to do is shim the cam gear sprocket and use asrt-4 tensioner on the timing belt and its a direct bolt on. The cam sprocket on the dohc and the sohc is pretty much the same amount of teeth and same teeth spacing to accept the same belt but I assume a dohc belt is longer than a sohc belt.

if that is all there is then I'll slot my tensioner and find a way to give it an extra inch of play.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Hey. I'm all for given the big ones what they need It would be more worth while to use the dohc head obviously. In the performance world for sohc, if it is not a mag head, it is not worth it. That is just how I see it. Why spend the money to come up short where it counts, when you could build it better from the start? Local buddy of mine has a decently modded sohc that has not hit 14's, of low 15's for that matter. What the hell?! All that time and work to come up short. I have 4 dohc heads, and would have given him one mad cheap just to get him up there. Modding an sohc head remind me of those people ridding up hill peddling too fast to be going so slow. Not that an sohc head cannot do it, but why not use the right gear (head) to begin with?

Old 05-04-2008, 04:31 PM
JackMehoffer69

ORIGINAL: Ghost Neon 2

Hey. I'm all for given the big ones what they need It would be more worth while to use the dohc head obviously. In the performance world for sohc, if it is not a mag head, it is not worth it. That is just how I see it. Why spend the money to come up short where it counts, when you could build it better from the start? Local buddy of mine has a decently modded sohc that has not hit 14's, of low 15's for that matter. What the hell?! All that time and work to come up short. I have 4 dohc heads, and would have given him one mad cheap just to get him up there. Modding an sohc head remind me of those people ridding up hill peddling too fast to be going so slow. Not that an sohc head cannot do it, but why not use the right gear (head) to begin with?
If you are going to compare quarter mile times between sohc and dohc and use the time as a gauge of the engines performance why not compare motors that use the same transmission? the sohc transmission 3.55's is whyyour friend isnot in the low 15s or 14's. I would like to see a stock dohc and stock sohc both with 3.94 gears and watch them go at it. I bet it would be a good race and suprise alot of people.

I used to think the same way till former dodge forum memberslash gave me a ride in his turbo sohcneon, that thing would throw you in the back seat its got torque up the *** and I went with him for a cruise like a month ago and he smoked a new mitsubishi eclipse, granted thats a 14.4 secondv6 5 speedcar and slash has a atx as well. he also posted a Northstar Cadilac as well that very same night. I no longer think sohc's are the ugly red head after riding in that car it gained my respect. Last i heard slash was running 12psi and upgraded his fuel system and stuff to handle it.

The next thing I'm gonna mod is a 2.5 chrysler turbo mini van that is the ultimate sleeper

Old 05-04-2008, 04:58 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

you should know its a waste of your time unless you have a 95 cam

Old 05-04-2008, 06:24 PM
JackMehoffer69

ORIGINAL: DOHCgarrett t3

you should know its a waste of your time unless you have a 95 cam
Yes I do infact I'm taking the head off the 95 motor.

Quick Reply: Putting 1995 SOHC head on a 2.4 Block What should I know?