1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

New Vid

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008 | 09:48 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
|
Professional
Default RE: New Vid

for the shift fork? or the clutch, i didnt know you could reach the shift fork from there, ill have to check it out tomorrow? my gf will be headed up in about an hour, so she'll check her door when she gets to the apt for the green slip, thanks jeremy and neonracer

Old 05-14-2008 | 09:56 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

yeah you can reach the fork really easyly... just take the dust cover off... and where the clutch cable connects is acually the fork... god thats a bad pic...

Name:  IMG_1907.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  40.5 KB

Old 05-14-2008 | 10:01 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
|
Professional

thats the fork for the clutch tho right?

my clutch cable isok, its the shift forks that seem worn, i have boogers that fit really solid, and theres still a lot of play at the shifter, and it gets worse as the tranny warms up

sucks cause its easy to mis-shift when your racing through the gears, since i wont run the car hard until its warmed up and by then the shifter feels real loose, i have to really focus to shift well

Old 05-14-2008 | 10:10 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

the shifter doesent have anything to do with the clutch fork... im confuesed... lol

Old 05-14-2008 | 11:38 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
|
Professional

lol, my clutch is ok, the throwout bearing is going out, but other then that actuation is still smooth

my shifter is what im having the problem with, even with the boogers, it still seems like theres a lot of play in the shifter, and more play develops as the tranny warms up with driving

(update, i found the reason theres so much play when moving the shifter side to side, see the pic at the end of this, the shaft that runs horizontal to the shifter right in front of the pivot ball in the little teflon sleeve is worn out, and has about a mm of endplay)

however that doesnt explain why my shifter cable for front to back motion moves about a quarter inch before actually shifting

Old 05-14-2008 | 11:49 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
|
Professional

as a side note, i was thinking today about the ultimate shifter setup

measure the diameter of the post where the shift bushing slips on, find some sealed ball bearings that are the same size, or machine the posts so the ball bearings just barely have to be pressed on, put a circlip on the end

now the fun part, take a new set of shifter cables, and melt off the plastic ends so that the cable length stays the same (make sure you measure them first), have a machine shop make a set of clamp on aluminum cable ends that have an interference fit, heat them slightly and slide them over the bearing, and let it cool

and there you have it, completely solid feel, and no friction, not sure if it would work that easy, but i think im gonna try it next year when is start building the motor and tranny

Old 07-02-2008 | 12:14 PM
boxerjl2
Record Breaker

1996 SOHC 2 DOOR BASE
PACESETTER HEADER/GLASSPACK
UNORTHODOX RACING ALTERNATOR ONLY PULLEY
FIDANZA ALUMINUM FLYWHEEL AND 4 PUCK KEVLAR CLUTCH
MOPAR STIFF MOTOR MOUNTS AND PROTHANE RACE INSERTS
VITORS POLY BUSHING BOBBLE STRUT
QUAIFE LSD

how are you hitting 15 seconds with that mod list.. cuz im pretty sure the stock sohc is like a 17 second car or somewere around that and i dont see much on your list to hit 15's.. let me know

Old 07-02-2008 | 02:03 PM
JackMehoffer69

ORIGINAL: neonracer1010

ORIGINAL: 95to96transplantneon

how about some vid's of your gf... lol jk
x2 without the jk part

do you need shifter forks?
Colton you have a hot GF allready....

but x3 anyway