1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Question about Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:07 AM
cpukramer
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Radio

Hi all ... I am not the proud new owner of a 1998 Dodge Neon ... bought it yesterday and it is a nice, solid little car!! There are a few minor issues that need some fixing ... one of them is that the radio (its the OEM stock radio) only works on AM. I am assuming that there may or may not be an antenna problem, but I will investigate later. My question is: I have a stock radio from a 2002 Dodge Ram (my other vehicle) ... will that plug in directly as a replacement for this Neon radio? Basically its a CD player and its just sitting around so I'd like to install it if it will go in with no problems and look good. I appreciate any advice you can give!

Old 05-14-2008, 11:37 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker
Default RE: Question about Radio

not only do the plugs not fit, since they are not the same...but it wont fit in the hole either since its mounting points are on the sides instead of the way the OEM radio is on your neon

Old 05-14-2008, 11:39 AM
cpukramer
Captain

ok thanks for the info ... I guess I will have to see if I can get this one to work. It sounds like an antenna problem, doesn't it? The AM stations come in ok but FM all I get is static. I wish I had another radio to try with it to eliminate that possibility.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:21 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Go to a wrecking yard and you should be able to get one cheap. I would have one to sell you if someone didnt steal my Pioneer deck out of my neon[:@]

Old 05-14-2008, 02:25 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull it out and look at the plugs to see if they are different. I don't know that they are. As far as the mounting tabs go, I had a radio from a 2002 neon in my 96. It technically wouldn't fit because of the mounting tabs (had 2 extra ones), but it wasn't anything that a dremel tool couldn't handle.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:28 PM
cpukramer
Captain

hmmmm ... ok sounds good I will check out the connectors tonight. That would be awesome if I could use the new radio. I'm sure I could figure out a way to mount it! I just hope that I can at least get the FM radio to work because I am dying listening to talk radio all the time!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 02:31 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cpukramer
because I am dying listening to talk radio all the time!!!
Thats what I listen to mostly. Radio sucks....thats what CDs and MP3 players are for now

Old 05-14-2008, 02:37 PM
cpukramer
Captain

I agree with you 100% ... in my Ram I have Sirius Satellite Radio and an MP3 CD player ... if I EVER switch to terrestrial radio it is always to listen to the local AM sports station. In the Neon, however, I just got it and I am stuck with the bone stock AM/FM radio (no CD player or cassette) and the FM doesn't even work so I can't even use my Sirius, haha.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:07 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

the plugs are totally different between the 2 radios, but pull it out to see for yourself. On top of that you will need an antenna adapter since the newer radios use the euro plug(must be the daimler influence?) You can buy a radio to wire harness adapter for the back of the newer radio and then a harness to wiring adapter for the neon and simply connect them together to make it work. But without modofication to the radio casing itself the newer radio will not mount intot he neon dash. If you so choose to use the radio later on in your truck such as for trade in, you will have to modify it once more to make sure it is solid enough in the dash.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:07 PM
cpukramer
Captain

ok well I pulled the Neon radio out of the dash and sure enough the connectors are different then the Ram radio. Thanks everyone for your help ... I will have to make a few calls to scrap yards and see if I can find a radio. I looked on eBay and stuff but they are all like $100. Worst case scenario I will buy the $40 autozone special and I can get the install kit and harness for $10 each.

Quick Reply: Question about Radio