Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:25 AM
whtdoesitmatter
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: $1,500 to spend on 1st gen parts

ORIGINAL: scramer05

ORIGINAL: 95to96transplantneon

ok you can go a lot of different directions however since you dident mention turbo... I'm assuming you want to stay NA...

This would be a damn nice set-up for ya...
Crane 18 cam's (can find them used for 315-350
crane valve springs 100 bucks
AMM long runner intake manifold. 550 this will go hand and hand with the cams... Indys are crap crap crap...
Kirk long tube race header 219 off modern... this header has the best collector and biggest collector you can get without making your own...
AFX/R PCM This you will have to find used... they useually go for 250 bucks if you need help finding one pm me and I can direct you where to look...

This would be a killer set-up... and no one will argue with me... for your 1500 bucks... this set-up comes out to 1440 give or take 10 bucks... granted you could get adjustable cam gears but you really dont need them... And as long as you dont live in california you will be good...

you dont need new valves... you do not need retainers.... acually i think Spud still has some crane springs and what not laying around cheap... The msd coil pack doesent do anything its just a stock red coil pack no performance gains what so ever... The race motor mounts can be had for 35 bucks shipped off ebay and there the same exact thing that MP has but cheaper... you will be fine with the 52mm tb for now... but 55 is opptimum for the neon... 60 is to big unless your turbo...

PM me if you have any more questions i can help you find some of this stuff cheaper...

If you run this you will also need lots of headwork, high comp pistons and connecting rods, atleast a 55mm tb, adjustable cam gears, SAFC, Wideband. no point in spending that much money if you cant tune it all. And it states that you will need headwork and high comp pistosn directly on cranes website.

Just do a 2.4l swap and then mod that, you'll be much happier. If i had seen this thread friday i would has sold you EVERYTHING you would have needed to run 16s in your car, but owell.
ok sorry for the long delay i was out of town the past few days... and 95to96 ur right every other post about performance on the 1st gen side is srt swap if i wanted to srt swap i'd just get an srt-4 but i'm moving to maryland which is why i'm selling my car and buying a 1st gen to take the profit from my car to help move...plus i like the 1st gen better had one before n loved it... and i can't go without modifiying anything i put underglow, CD player and speakers in a golf cart for my little brother lol... idk i guess i'll just hold onto that 1500 for now or spend it on something else i'm never a good planner just an impluse buyer but i'll keep what u said in mind 95to96 and to scramer, u would not need lots of headwork, high comp pistons and connecting rods, 55mm tb, cam gears(good idea), SAFC, and wideband... they would help without a doubt but not a 100% got to have at this moment in time omfg my cars gonna explode with out them...get good gauges and keep and eye on them and don't beat the ***** off it until i had everything i wanted to do to it done

Old 05-27-2008, 06:52 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

dont let anyone tell you you cant run the setup that i posted... tons of guys are running the same setup on a SOHC with scrammer doesent realize... and they dont blow up they are daily drivers and they do just fine... and you dont need safc witch dont work worth a damn on a neon in the first place due to it being in close loop anytime the gas is 500rpm higher then idle...

Old 05-27-2008, 07:24 PM
whtdoesitmatter
Captain

dont let anyone tell you you cant run the setup that i posted... tons of guys are running the same setup on a SOHC with scrammer doesent realize... and they dont blow up they are daily drivers and they do just fine... and you dont need safc witch dont work worth a damn on a neon in the first place due to it being in close loop anytime the gas is 500rpm higher then idle...
MS FTW lol the cars a DOHC but from what i can tell can be better in some ways

Old 05-27-2008, 11:05 PM
scramer05
Rookie

ORIGINAL: whtdoesitmatter

ORIGINAL: scramer05

ok you can go a lot of different directions however since you dident mention turbo... I'm assuming you want to stay NA...

This would be a damn nice set-up for ya...
Crane 18 cam's (can find them used for 315-350
crane valve springs 100 bucks
AMM long runner intake manifold. 550 this will go hand and hand with the cams... Indys are crap crap crap...
Kirk long tube race header 219 off modern... this header has the best collector and biggest collector you can get without making your own...
AFX/R PCM This you will have to find used... they useually go for 250 bucks if you need help finding one pm me and I can direct you where to look...

This would be a killer set-up... and no one will argue with me... for your 1500 bucks... this set-up comes out to 1440 give or take 10 bucks... granted you could get adjustable cam gears but you really dont need them... And as long as you dont live in california you will be good...

you dont need new valves... you do not need retainers.... acually i think Spud still has some crane springs and what not laying around cheap... The msd coil pack doesent do anything its just a stock red coil pack no performance gains what so ever... The race motor mounts can be had for 35 bucks shipped off ebay and there the same exact thing that MP has but cheaper... you will be fine with the 52mm tb for now... but 55 is opptimum for the neon... 60 is to big unless your turbo...

PM me if you have any more questions i can help you find some of this stuff cheaper...

If you run this you will also need lots of headwork, high comp pistons and connecting rods, atleast a 55mm tb, adjustable cam gears, SAFC, Wideband. no point in spending that much money if you cant tune it all. And it states that you will need headwork and high comp pistosn directly on cranes website.

Just do a 2.4l swap and then mod that, you'll be much happier. If i had seen this thread friday i would has sold you EVERYTHING you would have needed to run 16s in your car, but owell.
ok sorry for the long delay i was out of town the past few days... and 95to96 ur right every other post about performance on the 1st gen side is srt swap if i wanted to srt swap i'd just get an srt-4 but i'm moving to maryland which is why i'm selling my car and buying a 1st gen to take the profit from my car to help move...plus i like the 1st gen better had one before n loved it... and i can't go without modifiying anything i put underglow, CD player and speakers in a golf cart for my little brother lol... idk i guess i'll just hold onto that 1500 for now or spend it on something else i'm never a good planner just an impluse buyer but i'll keep what u said in mind 95to96 and to scramer, u would not need lots of headwork, high comp pistons and connecting rods, 55mm tb, cam gears(good idea), SAFC, and wideband... they would help without a doubt but not a 100% got to have at this moment in time omfg my cars gonna explode with out them...get good gauges and keep and eye on them and don't beat the ***** off it until i had everything i wanted to do to it done
Directly from Crane regarding Crane 18s:
Radical Street/Drag Race profile. Needs all the major mods, like increased compression pistons, Race header w/equal length long primary tubes, aftermarket ECM, Race-prepped cylinder head porting.

You say that you dont need a wideband but then you say that you need good gauges to keep an eye on it? No point in tearing down a motor and not doing it right the first time. You would need to get the headwork and pistons to get the most out of the money that you spent on the cams. Call me an idiot, whatever. You asked for some advice and im just trying to help you out. My buddy ran his car with 18s and no wideband or SAFC or anything to tune it withand it blew up 2 weeks later... Just trying to look out for you. But like i said in the beggining, swap a 2.4 and mod that. Im done here....

Old 05-27-2008, 11:25 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

wow... just wow...

I'm not here to arguee what so ever... but I can tell you this... you do NOT need fuel mods till you get to like crane 22's or 24's...

and I know what the crane website says but there are tons of people running 22's daily driven for thousands of miles on a stock block stock head with the only other modification to the block is springs...

What cranes website says is just to get every last drop of power from the cam. You can install them and have a damn nice gain and then every thing you add breathing wise will add even more power plus the cam will give you more power...

your stock pcm can adjust up to 25% of the fuel flow in a lean condition witch will be more then enuf to cover the little extra fuel you would need for 22's... When you look at a flow chart of the two cams and the amount of air they flow... the difference aint that much... so why would you need a safc if the stock pcm can handle it...

I agree headwork would help tremendously and give you a nice gain but not NEEDED to give a damn nice gain...

Quick Reply: $1,500 to spend on 1st gen parts