1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

WTB-DOHC Bottom end

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 AM
johnMZ24
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB-DOHC Bottom end

Hey guys i was wondering if anybody got a bottom end thats in good shape and not knocking that they wana sell? il give 50-100 bucks, theres not a single dohc 20 miles from me in the junkyards or anywhere.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:37 PM
JackMehoffer69
Default RE: WTB-DOHC Bottom end

ORIGINAL: johnMZ24

Hey guys i was wondering if anybody got a bottom end thats in good shape and not knocking that they wana sell? il give 50-100 bucks, theres not a single dohc 20 miles from me in the junkyards or anywhere.
sohc engines have the same block and crank and rods, swap your pistons or live with the 3-5hp decrease in power with dohc head.

You can throw your dohc head on a sohc blockwithout any modifications and run good but there ispossibly a5hp decrease in power if you use the slightlydished sohc pistons, might not be a problem though, I just redid the head gasket on mine and the carbon filled the dish on the pistons so they were basically flat tops....lol.

Both DOHC and SOHC blocks have the same casting number and are identical. If you want you can swap the pistons from your dohc motor on the sohc rods and you got the same motor.

I'm sure sohc engines are more readily available. if you get a 95 sohc blockDo make sure you swap your sensors from your old block to the sohc block, such as crank sensor and knock sensor ect. If the sohc block is from 96-99 you wont have a problem at all but its probably a good idea to use your sensors from your motor so you know what you got.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:51 AM
fsu182
Captain

man looks like ur in pa. i live right on the state line (cumberlarnd md), and did live in cresson, pa while at collge (transferring to shippensburg this semester)

good freaking luck! i almost went to blacksburg, VA after a freakin bottom end. i could not find DOHC anything. if theres a sport, rt, or car equipped with an ecc in the junkyard- the engine is gone.

if you only need pistons - check ebay. a seller named mizumoto or something. u can get pistons, rings and bearings for about $130 shipped. if your block is gouged or somethin, or the crank is bad - you can use a SOHC block just like previously mentioned. all parts bolt in.

my block is at the machine shop right now after i melted my #2 piston. sry for ur luck but i was right there with ya. where are u in PA anyway?

Old 05-23-2008, 01:54 AM
fsu182
Captain

nvm checked ur profil - potsville.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:21 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

I can get you some dohc pistons to get you moving.

Quick Reply: WTB-DOHC Bottom end