1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 Neon is home, has problems (of course)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:23 PM
brushedchrome
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Neon is home, has problems (of course)

The brakes are bad in the front (lots of pedal feedback, shimmy) and after getting it up to temp and having it on the road for a few hours (drove it about 270 miles yesterday) it leaks oil like a bitch out of the driver side of the engine. The oil looks to be running down from the top of the bell housing and dripping off of it to the ground. Its all over everything under the car and is all over the bell housing. But only on the drivers side. I would dare guess its the head gasket. While I dont know for sure, it doesnt leak when its cold and there isnt any oil in the coolant or vise versa. The dip stick isnt rusty and the bottom of the oil cap is nice and clean. So, its brakes and probably a head gasket. That, and when it cranks to start, it cranks slow. I thought that maybe it was the battery, but with jumper cables running to my good Neons battery, it still starts with the same slow crank. Oh, and it also has the swamp trunk. Of course. Looks like a complete head gasket replacement kit (all gaskets to the head, intake, exhaust, etc.) and timing belt will go into it while were at it. There isnt anything else that could cause that much oil to come out of that area of the engine that im not picking up on is there? God damn, its like deja vu all over again. My first Neon did the same garbage.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:57 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Default RE: 98 Neon is home, has problems (of course)

Oil sending unit will spray oil when it goes. But that will throw off a oil light most the time. Check that cam seal.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:06 PM
fsu182
Captain

is your trans. caked with oil?

Old 06-01-2008, 02:06 PM
brushedchrome
Professional

Where is the oil sending unit? Im not familiar with that. Also, the cam seal that your talking about, is that the one under the cam positioning sensor? The regular cam seal is on the passenger side which doesnt have any leaks. The funny thing is, it doesnt hardly leak at all when its cold. If it was some sort of sending unit, I would imagine it would do it no matter what. Im thinking head gasket due to the fact that when the engine heats up, it starts really giving it up. Maybe the difference in heat from the head to the block is causing the gasket to open up or maybe a head bolt is broke/loose and isnt sealing that corner of the head properly.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:11 PM
brushedchrome
Professional

There is oil on everything from the cam sensor (lightly oiled) all the way down around the bell houseing and on the transmission as well. Its basically everywhere on the drivers side of the engine compartment from the bottom of the head down with a little on the cam sensor.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:19 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

from the bottom of the head down
possibly the HG mine only leaked oil when it went, of course the entire back of the engine was coverd in oil from the bottom of the HG down to the trans

Quick Reply: 98 Neon is home, has problems (of course)