1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

relocate battery to trunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:46 PM
asbel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default relocate battery to trunk

so i decided to relocate my battery to my trunk to make room for my intake. I have pretty much all the materials. I found a hole in the firewall right under the drivers side dash. with a grommet with no hole in it so i made a hole and put my wire through and now i have no idea where to run it from there, what would be the best and safest place on where to run the cable so it doesnt pinch or fray.

also my next question is that would it be bad to use a, i think its a 2 or 4 gauge welding wire, it looks exactly like a power wire you would use and its rated for 600 volts. is there more problems with using a thicker gauge wire electrically?

thanks for all the help, i havent been here in a while cause i havent had any problems with my neon and i have been away at college and now i worl 65 hours a week and i dont have much time for other stuff.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:09 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Default RE: relocate battery to trunk

I used 4 or 2 gauge on mine. I dont remember. I think 2. I ran it along the doors under the carpet. Down in there where it hits the lowest part of the floor. Then under the backseat into the trunk.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:12 PM
asbel
Rookie

so on the drivers side? did you put it under the trunk lid release? and just run it right through that way.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:18 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Alot of skinny metal up there. The ground is flat, and if you run it under the seat staring towards the back it wont get hurt from moving around. I did mine the on drivers. I put the battery box in behind the tail light on the drivers side. I grounded the battery to the strut bolt and another smaller one to the ground bolt the runs the back. Pull the carpet you will see it. I have no problem issues. ANd I run a udp.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:23 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 gauge wire would work the best...and using welding wire would work fine since its a fine strand wire...

you can run it under the trunk release, then it wont push out on the door sill trim

Old 06-23-2008, 06:40 PM
mmench
Captain

did any of you guys put in the kill switches on your trunk? im gona be rainc mine alot and was wondering how much of a pain it is to put on

Old 06-23-2008, 09:11 PM
95to96transplantneon
Record Breaker

any sanctioning body should require a kill switch if the battery is located in the trunk... even scca... it has to be accessable from the outside of the vehicle... lots of guys use a push rod that connects to the kill switch and just attach it at the track. remove it when the car is on the road. so your friends cant play tricks...Im not saying remove the whole kill switch just a bar that comes out the back when your at the track, and connects to the kill switch.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:41 PM
asbel
Rookie

yeah i dont plan on racing, but the next project is the evil rear main seal

Old 06-24-2008, 12:44 AM
mmench
Captain

yea thats why i asked how much of a pain it is to put on. i know all the sactions require it.... i just never installed one before.

Quick Reply: relocate battery to trunk