1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

wont start no compression!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:00 PM
motox_tj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont start no compression!

ok, my neon is having quite the trouble right now, for starters, I have a 95 dodge neon, SOHC, 5 speed manual. I blew the timing belt going 140km/h, i checked into it a bit, and apparently the SOHC are non interference engines (thank god) so i replaced the timing belt, and the water pump too, as the drive sprocket for it had broken as well. so i lined up all the timing marks exactly, put it all back together...and i got a neon that wont start! there is no compression in any of the cylinders, so logically i took it apart again to double check my timing... the timing is lined up perfectly on the marks, both crank and cam... so i checked to see if there was any pressure blowing back through the throttle body (to check for broken/bent valves) and thats all good, so then i took off the valve cover just to double check that, and everything is good! so now i am completely confused as to what is wrong with it... it cranks fine, but theres just absolutly no compression so it doesnt fire at all. anybody have any suggestions??

Old 06-28-2008, 08:28 PM
mr340
Muscle Car Moderator
Default RE: wont start no compression!

and apparently the SOHC are non interference engines
WRONG!!!!!
The 2.0 SOHC "DOES NOT have a provision for a freewheeling valve train". " Non-freewheeling valve train" means "pistons will contact valves in the event of a broken timing belt" That is directly from the FSM. You have some head work to do there ....

Old 06-28-2008, 09:39 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Yep man. That sucks you wasted a head gasket and head bolts. Everyone knows they are interference engines .

Old 06-29-2008, 08:29 AM
mulletman11
All Star

i was gnna say, i could have sworn they were interfernce motors, but ill keep my mouth shut

Old 06-29-2008, 11:18 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if there is no compression then there is deffinately going to be a problem with the valves...especially when going that fast...
i broke a timing belt on my 1st sohc neon while sitting at a stop sign...bent 3 valves

Old 06-29-2008, 01:48 PM
Sixtysixdeuce
Captain

At that speed, it's likely that you damaged the pistons as well. If you have more than 100K on that critter, I'd just start looking for a low mileage salvage engine and swap over your new timing components, rather than sinking a bunch of money into the motor you have.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:58 PM
mulletman11
All Star

hes right, i would be willing to bet money, you have at leats 10 bents valevs and maybe a damaged piston or two

Quick Reply: wont start no compression!