1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Help: Neon '97 Won't accelerate intermitently and engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 03:01 AM
Kaim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help: Neon '97 Won't accelerate intermitently and engine light on

Hi, just hoping to get some opinions. Any help would be great, I can't get to work until this is fixed.

It's a 97 automatic, a little over due for a service, just had the engine head rebuilt a few months ago (water pump seized and took out the timing belt at highway speeds). Recently replaced the battery, but the actual problem was the alternator belt, replaced that and the drive belt at the same time. Had fuel pump problems in the distance past and had it replaced then.

Basically, everything seemed fine, stopped at a light, then tried hitting the gas and it was shaking a bit and couldn't get above 20. Stopped and it shook even when in neutral. Noticed the engine light had come on. Switching gears didn't seemed to work but didn't change how it moved, going in reverse isn't an issue either, so I'm guessing (hoping) it's not the transmission. Pushing the accelerator doesn't rev the engine, popping the hood and manually revving there's no problem, but the sound is a little off.

I had to get to work which was only a little bit off so I limped down the side of the road (tow would have taken three hours to get there), most of the way I was stuck at 20, but further on all of a sudden accelerating worked fine, the gears shifted fine... and then when I turned the corner, back to the sputtering and barely able to move. Seems being stopped makes it come back.

From what I've read up, I'm guessing it's something with the fuel system, maybe the pump again, but I'm not sure. I'd give the code, but it's a 30 dollar cab ride away... Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 07-04-2008, 09:59 AM
bone33
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help: Neon '97 Won't accelerate intermitently and engine light on

when the kickdown linkage freezes up it wont let the throttle plate open up all the way. this is common for older neons. spray wd-40 on the all over the kickdown linkage and the other linkages where it goes into the tranny. you might be able to do this without taking out the battery tray. if this doesnt help, but it is the problem, you could always disconnect the kickdown linkage and just shift into 2nd when you need too. start in D and drive around in D... only drop it into 2nd when you need too and then back into D when its time. dont start in 1st and shift through the gears. it will shft up by itself, it just wont be able to shift down by itself.

Quick Reply: Help: Neon '97 Won't accelerate intermitently and engine light on