1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Valve work *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Valve work *PICS*

Considering the neon's SCCA history, you better try harder mister [8D] I'll let everyone know how this all comes together. Just got my 2.7L valve train to go with the head. It's coming together nicely.

Noticed in a Mustang magazine that the new 500hp 500tq Shebly mtx has a 3.55FD. Low FD for the boost it seems. Granted that is a very large race built V8, the basics are the same. A neon with such a setup, should get far better mileage and still be a beast. You do not see V8 owners gutting their cars nearly as much as four cylindered racer do. Why? They add more power to counteract the weight of the car. Olympic sprinters spend far more time getting stronger to run faster, rather than loosing weight to reduce what they have to carry down the track. Not saying it is "wrong," as there are dozens of categories for racing and such. Just saying it if you wanna run like the V8's, do what they do in a sense.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:48 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

True about v-8 racers

but again, adding more power wont make a car handle better, and a car that weighs 2400 pounds will be more limited in peak handling then one that weighs 2000 pounds. Same with power, say you take a car like lens 700 hp neon, with all the interior still in, a 700 hp gutted neon with the minimum weight needed to be strong will run a faster time then the car with all the interior.

The cars im planning on racing are going to be gutted corvettes and miatas running high boost rotary engines

the class has no engine limits as long as the engine is originally from a automobile. If its over a 3.2L OHC engine or a 2.28 boosted OHC engine, you just go from a 1700 pound weight limit, to an 1800 pound weight limit

that being said, going to a 2.4 will do me no good at all, because having 700 hp wont get me around the cones any fasterthen having 350 hp will (since ill never be leaving 3rd, and 350 whp will spin just about any tire that can be forced onto a neon), and i can get 350 hp out of a boosted 2.0 for a lighter package then i can get 350 out of a 2.4 which will help me handle against $100,000 corvettes

i still agree for street cars that adding displacement is the way to go, just not for a full out race car, otherwise F-1 cars would have a/c and a stereo

Old 07-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Auto-x is your game. That does make for different requirements with your car. Makes sense now. I do 1/4 miles and some street antics on occasion. We drive by different rules, hence our different views.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:22 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

haha ya, sorry about that, i thought i put that in there somewhere

for now auto-x, maybe time trials later, im still racing motocross too, so im kinda doing this cause its always been a goal to build a full out race car, and autocross offers similar thrills to motocross, without the jumps

ya, for drag i would have probably just left it a sleeper, so no one would know, it'd be kinda cool coming up to a show night at the local a&w and then go and smoke the hotrods that talk crapat the strip

Quick Reply: Valve work *PICS*