1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Drove my first dohc mtx today

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 12:21 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Drove my first dohc mtx today

the dohc has plenty of take-off power if its driven right....to get the most power out of a dohc though, you have to run it above 4k rpms....
how many miles were on the r/t?
how much did they want for it?

Old 07-06-2008, 12:45 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was really nice. All options rear disc everything. $1500 it has about 80k on it. Really nice ride. My buddy bought it. I was test driving it with him.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:29 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a bad price...

Old 07-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: I_Ride_Neon

That post wasnt really for the dohc owners. Because I know when I heard all the talk about the dohc and never seen one around I really wanted one. But now I know its nothing special. Just another neon but with no take off power.
Who was this post for then? Was he running the car to high rpm's or just driving it around? As Spud said, above 4k is where the higher air flow is noticeable. Any driver can make a car seem less interesting. Just think how many people still think neons cannot be competitively modified. Just as well. Ironic that you used pistons from a less impressive neon though

A sohc 2.4 turbo is far more work than a dohc. Custom pistons are a must in hopes of getting the compression down enough to safely run boost. What does your neon run in the 1/4? I need to get to the track before the end of the year[&:]

Old 07-07-2008, 12:53 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Did you not listen to me? I drove the car. No one went with us. I beat the crap out of it... REV LIMITER EVERY GEAR. Well my sohc neon smoked my 2.4 that runs 15.4. But I never had a chance to run it on the track.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

I did not hear anything, but I did read you stalled the car twice. That says a lot in itself about the car and/or your ability to drive. I will agree it is difficult to produce low end power while stalling a myx car. Also what does your sohc have again? And why use pistons from an engine that is the same as a sohc?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:01 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

So you saying I drive bad? I drive 2 mtx neons and my mtx cavy. If you knew me I doubt you would say that. I have never had a atx dd in my life. I have owned well over 40 cars. Even my geo metro had more take off power. When you need to push the gas down that far just to get the car moving its sad. I rest my foot on my sohc and it still takes off to fast. And my 2.4 dohc is the same way as my sohc neon. I am willing to put my sohc neon to and dohc neon with the same mods. Just to prove it I am going to give the kid all the parts I have to match us up and race. I will shoot a video. And I wont start until he is off the line. I got $50 says I win. Just because dohc has a big power band up top doesnt mean anything. Saying I drive bad... Thats pathetic. I havent stalled a manual car in over 2 years and that was when I was pushing my other neon up a hill. I was pointing out the fact of how much the dohc sucks at taking off. Not that I cant drive. When I was 14 I was driving a 5 speed neon every day. I didnt get caught until I was 16. I must be doing something right. I just had a thing with stealing cars and drving around. So my mom just let me get a car and drive it.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Someone is getting emotional. Do me a favor and find where I called you a bad driver. Setting up a race means nothing, especially with mtx cars producing very inconsistent time. With all your experience, you should be aware of that. Dyno numbers would prove which has more power, right. Since a dohc and sohc neon are the same, the number should be the same, right. Same with the 2.4L right. Sohc can take that too. You should just turbo the sohc and save your money. Hey, you have any track times or dyno number to back this up, or should I take your word as law?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:02 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

To back what up? That my stock cavy runs 15.4 in the quarter? or that my neon beat it....

That says a lot in itself about the car and/or your ability to drive
Getting emotional. Why you trying to give me more ****? Shouldn't you be busy ripping someone off? Dont get stupid with me because I have the opinion of a dohc having no take off. You going to hate on me for something else next? I am catholic. Want to give that a shot?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Proof that there is no difference between a sohc and a dohc.

On a serious note, some of my comments were a bit sarcastic. I'll admit that. I'll also admit tat Slash brought up a good point before taking leave. How would a dohc engine fare against a sohc if they had the same gear box? I too have beat some dohc cars with a sohc too. Later talked to the guy. Here was the setup:

He: 98 dohc sport mtx, iceman, atx or 60mm tb, mopar pcm, ebay header (same I use now), udp, 24lb injectors, cat back exhuast

I : 96 sohc mtx, iceman, atx, udp, r/t mtx, dohc muffler

Go him from a 35mph roll in the rain. Granted he may have had bad tires, but he "should" have taken me out. I have the same mods now, and there is no way my old car could catch me. I do not care who is driving the sohc. That in a sense backs up what Slash said, but what if the guy let off? Or his tires were crap? So many variables. Dyno would bring the truth with numbers. Or I could drop a 3.55 into my car and run my local sohc friend. He has the .72 FD and I'll have the .81 since ethe 3.55 mtx I am using is off a 2G. Sometime after the race, we are hitting the dyno for numbers. We are both building up.

About "ripping people off", you really do not know enough about that individual to question me about it.

Quick Reply: Drove my first dohc mtx today