1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Turbo plan, any ideas to the contrary?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:41 PM
ryleynoyes
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo plan, any ideas to the contrary?

I'm looking at using a Garrett GT3076R turbo, and converting to run E85(E98 at the track). 1600 CC injectors. 10.5:1 compression (i know, opposite of usual, but i figure i can do it since E85 is about 96 octane, and E98 is about 126) i have crane 14's ready to install right now, but i may switch to a more aggressive cam as i will basically be using a high compression motor that just happens to have a turbo as well. any input on this?

Old 07-12-2008, 09:58 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Default RE: Turbo plan, any ideas to the contrary?

What internals you plan to run for supporting that?

Old 07-12-2008, 10:13 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

I was reading up on this myself, i believe E85 is more around 103 octane, and E98 is about 123-126

As long as your internals are strong enough, ei forged, this could work according to some people more knowledgeable then me

however, its going to have a very small tuning window, therefore if you dont plan on running megasquirt or aem stand alone, your engine wont have a chance, again according to some people much more knowledgeable then me

Old 07-12-2008, 10:13 PM
ryleynoyes
Veteran

wiseco pistons, eagle rods, crane springs and retainers, adjustable cam gears, Megasquirt ECU, Walboro 255lph fuel pump plus extra inline Walboro 255lph, Aeromotive FPR, MPx underdrive pulley, screamin demon coil, undecided intercooler, pt cruiser rockers or whatever it's called, motor mount inserts, mopar bobble strut, brand new crank (well, a few thousand miles on it)

Old 07-12-2008, 10:17 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Why would you even do high compression? Its not even worth the hp. Just get low compression forged. MS and some other goodies. Then run like 20-25 psi of boost. Call it a day. You should just use the 2.4 and use srt-4 pistons. Its a cheap swap.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:25 PM
ryleynoyes
Veteran

well i want a non-laggy motor. the GT3076R is a fairly big turbo (not too big, but on the big side of good for a 2.0). i also want throttle response. so basically i'll be running with the best of them for na power, and then i'm runnin boost on top of that. and it's different

Old 07-12-2008, 11:39 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

i read a very recent post about this very subject on another site i must not name

this is a very do-able idea, it just has to be tuned just right to keep from destroying everything, and if you plan on using E85 on the street and E98 at the track, you might need a way to have 2 fuel maps and switch between the 2.

It will reduce the feeling of turbo lag to have more compression as the engine will have more on its on, however the guy that made the post is very very knowledgeable and he said 10.5:1 is the maximum with E85, and will be very difficult to tune. He posted that for someone thats never tuned before, better to run low compression with high octane gasoline, or E85 with 9.3:1 CR, it just allows more room for mistakes in the tuning without destroying the engine

if i remember right, didnt you say you wanted to add nos on top of the turbo?

Old 07-13-2008, 12:01 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not going to comment on the E85 deal since i know nothing about it....

but as for the compression, you can look at it this way,
with everything tuned properly, you can run more boost on lower compression, but you can also run less bost on high compression.
a low compression motor with high boost can get you to a top speed alot faster
a high compression motor with lower boost would make a bad *** 1/4 miles car..

Old 07-16-2008, 06:36 PM
ryleynoyes
Veteran

good memory toostubborn.

i was going to run NITROUS (not nos, nos is a brand name:P) or N2O or NO2 (i can't remember which) but i decided to just bump up a step in turbo instead. easier to tune etc.

as far as tunability, i'm not too worried about it, as i just have to get it close, and then i'm taking it to a speed shop in sioux falls SD that opened not too long ago. their main tuner used to run MS in his (2001?) neon. he was making 415hp AT THE WHEELS! ALL THE TIME! not just at the track.

and spud, high compression would make for an awesome road racer, as the lag would be all but gone, and it would make for a great drag car as well, since the motor has more power to start with before adding boost. low compression with boost is only good for 2 things, cheaper gas on low boost, and easier (more forgiving) tuning

i'm guessing the main reason more people don't do high comp. plus boost is the expense of it, both risk of engine damage with a bad tune, and everytime at the pump. that's why i want to switch to E85, to offset the cost a bit, while still making mad power

Old 07-17-2008, 06:13 PM
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL
Professional

yep, i wish my memory was good all the time haha

ya, i posted about this a while back, and got flamed, but i guess i forgot to post that i was never going to use pump gas

the on thing about e85 is that you'll run thru fuel faster, because it has to be run way richer then any race gas, this is why the flexfuel vehicles get like 16 mpg on gas and 12 mpg on E85, but sounds like you already knew that

this is the route it looks like ill be going, since im making a national leval SCCA E Mod autocross car/time trials and need high power/low lag

this is the motor im basing it off of, makes 300 hp/300 ft pounds and is making over 100 ft pounds by 2500 RPM
2.0 DOHC
8.8:1 JE Pistons
Eagle rods
Bored 20 over with a torque plate
all arp fasteners (insurance on a high hp motor)
home ported head, intake mani without the 90 removed
60mm throttle body
home polished crank
ms2 engine control
home ported srt turbo
FMIC
stock 2.0 cams
16 pounds of boost
i believe he was running 100 octane unleaded, its possible it was lower tho

my plans are
2.0 DOHC
10.5:1 JE pistons
Crower rods
bored 20 over with torque plate
all arp fasteners
professionally ported head, intake mani with 90 removed
60mm throttle body (larger if needed)
professionally polished crank, then sent to be cryo-rem'd
probably aem engine management
professionally ported srt turbo
bar and plate FMIC
crane 14s
16 pounds of boost
combustion chambers/exhaust ports/bottom of valves/turbo/manifold/downpipe all ceramic coated
cams/crank/all transmission internals cryo-rem'd
probably E98

the coatings and cryo treatments are because im not rich, this motor needs to last a while, and those things will help with that, plus the ceramic coatings will keep more heat in the combustion chamber where it should be

Quick Reply: Turbo plan, any ideas to the contrary?