1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Starting issues, 99 neon

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 04:51 AM
ChrisVZ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issues, 99 neon

I am havingtrouble diagnosing an issue with my 99 neon not starting. When it first failed at a gas station, I would get a clicking sound from the starter but the engine would not turn over. Got a jump and it started right up. I figured that my battery had finally died after 6 years and replaced it. When attempting to start it this time, I get nothing from the starter. Removed starter and had it tested and it works fine. Re-installed starter and continued troubleshooting. There is power to the starter and throughout the car so the cables to the batteryare fine. Getting voltage across starter fuse when key is turned to start position soI feel this rules out the ignition switch in the column. I am stumped as to what to check next. Please help. Thanks, Chris

Old 07-13-2008, 12:59 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Default RE: Starting issues, 99 neon

I believe there is a fuseable link on there close to the starter. You check that? Also check your connection. Like the ground. Cleanthem up and make sure they are mounted great. I just woke up but I want to say there is a fuseable link on the remote wire for the starter and one between the alternator and the starter.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:13 PM
ChrisVZ

No wiring issues found, but my friends father said I should check the neutral safety switch on the transmission. I will be doing that in the am. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:46 AM
ChrisVZ

Problem solved.. loose connection on the neutral safety switch.

Quick Reply: Starting issues, 99 neon