1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Amp troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Brojo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp troubleshooting

ok...so for my birthday my parents got me a small equalizer/amp combo to put into my '98 neon highline. its a 10 band equalizer and a 350 peak amp, nothing horribly impressive but it'll do what i need it to do. my dad has some history in electronics and decided he'd have a go at hooking it up. oh and i'm running the amp through the stock chrysler radio, which has a factory installed six disk changer built in. our problem is when we go to plug in the amp and turn the car on the amp lights up but no signal gets to the speakers....and the radio display chan ges to "ERR r-spk". i was wondering if anyone had some in sight as to what the problem was, also we've tried checking for grounded out speakers and there are none. and one last bit of confusing evidence is that my mother's '98 stratus stock chrysler radio works perfectly fine with the amp in her car as well as mine, we've also tried other 98 stock chrysler radios from other neons but they dont seem to work......any help at all please?

Old 07-18-2008, 10:25 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Amp troubleshooting

so what are you using to get a signal from the radio to the amp since there arent any rca outputs on the radio?

Old 07-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Brojo

i actually have the female connectors for the black and grey plugs in the back of the stereo that i spliced into two more male ends, so essentially i have two male ends in the stereo connected to two female ends with the other set of male ends spliced into the inputs for the amp.....hope that makes sense

Old 07-19-2008, 01:34 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

You need a high low converter. rcas run at low watts. Im not an expert. But if you just spliced into it with rcas it will throw more power threw a rca plug then your suppost to. Thats why they sell high low converts for cars without rcas. Its was hard for me to comprehend what you said. But that whats I got from it.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:23 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

Yeah they do make them little converters that you can splice into the speaker wires and it converts the signal so you can plug RCA's into them.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:16 AM
moparmandjh
Amateur

Did Neons come with the Infinity sound system? If so that could be part of the problem. Had the same thing happen on my x's 98 Chrysler T&C Lxi.
Dave

Old 07-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Brojo

ok i think i know what u guys are talking about, its a high/low impedance adapter that allows me to plug into the RCA outlets at the back of the amp?

Old 07-19-2008, 06:17 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

Did Neons come with the Infinity sound system
nope

Quick Reply: Amp troubleshooting