1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Camshaft installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 03:53 PM
jdlee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Camshaft installation

hey guy ill be brief, keep having the code 11-P01390 ( timing belt ) all marks line up , but the only thing that i dont know if its installed correctly its the camshafts , i havent look it up but if in not wrong i read in a forum that the camshaft holes most be facing upright, could it be that the camshafts are not well aling on the inside of the valve cover and the mechanic that install the timing belt didnt mark the camgears correctly so the timing its not right like for half tooth.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:04 PM
fsu182
Captain

the cam gears are marked and keyed for installation. you say camshafts so is it a DOHC?

does the car run ok and just throw a code? i dunno what u mean about the holes facing upright. the cams just sit in the cylinder head and are held in place by caps. You line the marks on the camshafts up to face directly at one another while cylinder #1 is at top dead center. You can check this by pulling apart the timing cover - which a decent amount of parts have to come off to do - or you can pull a plug and a wire and slowly and VERY CAREFULLY lower a long flat head screw driver into the spark plug hole. then rotate the crank by the 19mm bolt on the pulley to roughly find top dead center.

either way get a haynes if ur gonna start checking on stuff yourself.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:34 PM
jdlee

sorry i guess i was a little too brief, the thing is that the timing mark on the camgears were painted in white exactly on the tooths ( > < ) and it seems that the mechanic that install the new timing belt erase those marks and now has marks roughly dented (he made them )between tooths, so the crank mark is at TDC and the Camgear are facing each other but i doubt that the marks that the mechanic put are correct, so i read in another forum that the camshafts have a hole drilled between the #1 and #2 lobes and must be facing upward to be on TDC, and i havent check that out so, my question is :

1. its what im exposing a posibility for the problem.
2. if thats the case does the drilled holes in the camshafts are a correct form to align on TDC if i dont have the correct camgear timing marks ???? the thing is that nobody seems to know cause everybody assume that the camgear marks must be correct.

and sorry its a 99' Dohc Sport its not running that bad but its on the downside of fuel economy and as previously stated gives code 11 and on the scanner code P01390 ( Belt Skip a Tooth )

Old 08-18-2008, 07:43 PM
jdlee

these are not my photos but maybe this way ill make myself a little more clear
these are the holes that i was talking about

Attached Thumbnails Camshaft installation-99rtproject8.jpg   Camshaft installation-sspx0395-2.jpg  
Old 08-18-2008, 10:32 PM
fsu182
Captain

the 1999 Factory Service Manual - directly what the dealership uses to do maitenance - says nothing about these holes when installing the camshafts. im not arguing that the holes facing up isnt where the cams should be at TDC - but thats nothing to go by. You need to make sure the timing is set by the marks the factory has in the sprockets.

they should be clear, symmetrical notches. they should not look like they were beat in by a person. I can't say 100% that the cam gears are keyed to only go on one way. but i assume they are, and i think they are. the almost have to be. almost. someone who knows 100% will hopefully chime in

Quick Reply: Camshaft installation