1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Fuel Pump Fuse/ piston rings

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:47 PM
bjsharp85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Fuse/ piston rings

I blew the 20 Amp fuse the goes to my fuel pump. which inturn stopped the fuel delivery. it happened when i got on it shifting from 1st to 2nd. any ideas?

Also my piston rings are fried!!!! What do you guys suggest? rebuild the engine or replace the piston rings or any other ideas?

Old 08-18-2008, 06:55 PM
fsu182
Captain

piston rings will also cost you head gasket, head bolts, and rod bolts at least. Might cost you an oil pan gasket and you should replace the rod bearings and complete upper gasket set while you're in that far too. how many miles do you have on it? if the bores are ok and it runs well then just replace what you need.

did you replace the fuse and does it run ok now? or are you saying that when fuel delivery stopped your rings fried - which doesnt make sense to me. so i assume thats not what you mean and thats a seperate issue.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:40 PM
bjsharp85

the engine from what i know is still strong. i just replaced the oil pan gasket, EGR valve, and thermostat. that's when it really started happening. It only has 130,000 miles on it.

No the fuel pump happened right after i got the car, then about six months later it happen.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:08 AM
fsu182
Captain

ok. sounds good.

so the fuel pump fuse blew when you got the car - then six months later again?

are you puffing smoke and you blame the rings or you're sure they're fried? Sohc or Dohc and what year is the car?

generally speaking i think neons that are regularly maintained and not beat to death seem to last quite well. mine ran perfectly with over 200,000 miles until i started modding it and driving it hard. then i had to totally rebuild it so it could handle it. at 130 - i wouldnt jump to a rebuild.

do you to rebuild it for performance or reliability. or are you like me and think you can have both out of a 4 banger? lol.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:21 PM
bjsharp85

yeah the fuse blew when i got on it...

its a 98 r/t so dohc. it always blew smoke from when i got the car. just got worse when i changed everything.. so i cant say for sure they are fried.. just what my machanic said. he suggested just start saving money so when it does go i can replace it. but didnt give me a price or what i should get. since my dad is my machanic i know he isnt just trying to get me to spend money either.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Fuse/ piston rings