1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 ACR Won't start...It's complicated please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 08:27 PM
decog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ACR Won't start...It's complicated please help!

Hi all, I'm a lurker on the forums and haven't posted much (if at all). But this is the best site and I've gotten so much good info from just searching the forums.

The car: 98 Plymouth Neon ACR SOHC 16valve 2.0 liter 115kmiles. I would be remiss If I did not mention that I bought the car knowing that it was burning oil. About 1 qt every 2-3 tanks of gas. I barely drive the car, I ride my SV or my bicycle everywhere, so I only really drive it on long trips or if it's raining a ridiculous amount. I could have a separate thread just about this issue, point is, it's been working fine.

The problem: I was driving south on I-5 and the engine shut off. I couldn't get it to turn over after that. Had it towed home and it sat in the driveway for about a month. I'm moving next week so I've started to try and diagnose the problem.

Yesterday: I tried to start the car again and the engine would crank, but would not turn over. Threw codes 1299 (Vacuum Leak) and 0340 (camshaft sensor). I picked up new plugs and wires (it was time anyway) and the new camshaft sensor.

Today: Pulled my old plugs and wires, and installed the new ones. There was a good deal of oil on plugs 1,2,4. Could this be seepage from sitting with bad seals? Disconnected the negative battery cable. Replaced the Camshaft Sensor. Tightened the gas cap. Checked codes again and got 0340 but no 1299. (1 down!). Pulled the sensor connector off and checked the wires for visible damage, and then bent the leads a tiny amount to ensure a better connection. Put it back together and reconnected the neg battery cable. Go to start the car and now it won't even crank? That is to say when I turn the key all I get is a 'click'. That's it. Check codes again and get no codes!

That's my big question mark. WTH do I do with this? I have power in the car and everything. radio works lights work, everything seems fine. But now I can't even get it to crank. I need some help here. I've been searching on here and can't find anything quite like my issues, so any help would be huge!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by decog; 08-23-2008 at 11:18 PM. Reason: added mileage
Old 08-23-2008, 10:37 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many miles are on the car?

Old 08-23-2008, 11:17 PM
decog
Default Mileage

Around 115k

Old 08-23-2008, 11:22 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

know if the timing belt has ever been replaced on it? you should be able to take off the little inspection hole thingy and see if the belt is still there.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:43 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

starter may have went bad. or check the wire that leads from the Positive battery termal to the fuse box.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:00 AM
decog
Default Thanks!

@ neoncrazy101: Thanks I'll peep that tomorrow. I don't know if the belt has ever been replaced.

@ DOHCgarrett t3: could the starter have gone bad from trying to crank it over too much? Seems kinda weird it was fine yesterday and part of today and then it just quits. I'll check the wire from the pos to the fuse box tomorrow when I can see too.

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Old 08-24-2008, 09:53 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by decog
could the starter have gone bad from trying to crank it over too much?

yes, if it go too hot. try cleaning ther battery connections or make sure your getting 12volts to the starter at the red wire.

fuel pressure?

Quick Reply: 98 ACR Won't start...It's complicated please help!