1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Horn won't blow

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 04:25 PM
PoRican
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Horn won't blow

Help,
Just moved from Florida (no state inspection required) to Texas (state inspection required) and my horn don't blow. My stepdad and I tried fixing it today with no success. We moved bumper cover for easier access to front end and we only found the horn on the passenger side. There should be 2 horns, a low and a high but we can only find the one on the passenger side. We searched around the front end from above and from below and no horn on the drivers side anywhere or we just can't find it. We have current at the horn switch, at the fuse, at the relay but no beep. Anybody got any ideas?

PoRican

Old 09-01-2008, 05:51 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

have you tested the horn with a 12 volt power source? if you know your horn works when you hooked it up to a power source I would think the culprit would be the clock spring in behind the steering wheel

Old 09-02-2008, 10:54 AM
PoRican

I removed the the air bag and cover off the steerig wheel and there's a horn contact sheet which I tested and it was within specs. My main problem is locating one of the horns which I can't find. There should be a horn on the drivers side of the vehicle which should feed current to the one on the passenger side. If it's disconnected then neither of the horns will work. If I could find it then I think I can fix it.

When I removed the airbag module I saw the clockspring. What's it's purpose?

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:08 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

the purpose im not sure i know if they go bad either the Horn wont work or the CC goes out. Das would be able to tell you specificly what it does.
other than that im not positive but i think there is only one horn.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:51 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

just rig an aftermarket horn to the wiring and forget about the horn that you cant find. a horn is a horn and you will pass inspection.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:50 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

since you cant run wires thru the joint were the wheel truns, since they would just get twisted up. So you use a clockspring, this allows you to transmit the signal you need thru a movable joint.

i would have to check my car to find the horn and i dont have it with me curently.

Quick Reply: Horn won't blow