1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Dodge Neon 98 SOHC

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:02 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by das2123
Just a pet peeve of mine if you will, but it's not the 420a block. That is Mitsubishi's engine designation for the engine that they borrowed from Chrysler.
ive been waiting for you to say sumthing about that since the 1st time i noticed that he mentioned the block

Old 09-13-2008, 11:43 PM
Jyro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way no how will the caliber's head fit on the ECB (2.0l Sohc) block. The caliber is a world motor. It would be like taking a honda head and making it work on a nissan. ZThey are just not compatible.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:24 PM
ottoretto
Professional

bro im not talking to do the head swap im asking if i can do it that's it, and ur talking sumthing stupid cuz the a588 its a chrysler engine and the calibers engine its a chryler (same that dodge) too, if u dont know all chrysler engine are GEMA like the calibers engine so i was asking if i can do the swap, the calibers and neon engine are the same brand not diferent so dont talk about put and honda head into a nissan

Old 09-15-2008, 04:49 PM
bone33
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ottoretto
bro im not talking to do the head swap im asking if i can do it that's it, and ur talking sumthing stupid cuz the a588 its a chrysler engine and the calibers engine its a chryler (same that dodge) too, if u dont know all chrysler engine are GEMA like the calibers engine so i was asking if i can do the swap, the calibers and neon engine are the same brand not diferent so dont talk about put and honda head into a nissan
yes you can do it. its a direct swap. the world engine is exactly the same as the old 2.0 thats why they spent all that money building a brand new factory.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:52 PM
red91RT
Veteran

Originally Posted by spudsterier
ive been waiting for you to say sumthing about that since the 1st time i noticed that he mentioned the block
you'll notice the first time I said it I said "420a based block". It's just easier to refer to it that way...especially if you're talking about parts.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/2.html
note the comment: "However the cylinder head of the 2.0/2.4 DOHC is an outright copy of the Mitsu 2.0 G63 DOHC, while the SOHC version of the Chrysler 2.0 borrows heavily from Mitsu's early 90s G15 1.5 colt motor."
Which is interesting in relation to this question Otto has.

But based by Otto's last response I don't think we're really getting anywhere in the discussion anyway. I think maybe a more appropriate comparison might be using the 420 based (there I go again) heads on a 2.2/2.5... In that case, yes you can use them. It takes a little machining, but you can "make" them work. So...Otto...maybe you really can....but again, the VVT is a system on the world engine rather than a component. I think it would be Sooooo much easier to just swap the complete engine than to try to fit the head to the old block.

BTW---there will be people trying to put those 1.8/2.0/2.4 world engines in neons. I have already spoken to one who claims to have full intentions of putting a 1.8 in a 1st gen neon or a P-body coupe to go for a high-MPG car. This is a straightforward idea to come up with because you put a much more efficient motor in a car that is 800 to 1000 lbs lighter...of course it makes sense to the hyper-miler group.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:14 PM
ottoretto
Professional

red91RT, bro i agree whit ya in sumthing, of course its better change the all engine, that correct, but im a racer, in my country if i change the engine i join to pro-mod class, if i change just the head, i dont hve that problems, and the calibers engine dont resist 150 shot the neon 3/4 (engine w/o head) do now u see why im asking that, and about the vvt, u dont have to use an ecu for make it work bro, use a lil ur head and think why? if u know the answer respond me

Old 09-26-2008, 03:21 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

otto, are you talking about the engine withstanding a nitrous shot shot? If so, switching heads obviously isn't going to strengthen the block, nor the internals on the block. So you still have that problem.

And where did you hear that the caliber's engine can consistently stand 150 HP shots of nitrous?

Quick Reply: Dodge Neon 98 SOHC