1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

just got a 95 neon SOHC need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 05:22 PM
cudacrazy73
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got a 95 neon SOHC need some advise

hey my gf just bought a 95 neon SOHC, has 125,000km on it, dosnt look like its ever been leaking oil, we got it off a old handy cap'd lady. there is a bunch of a mess around the transmition tho. and it makes a weird sound when i turn it. (power stearing is topped up and clean) anyways overall i think its an ok buy she paid 1400 CAD for it. my question is what are some basic things that are worth spending money on to prolong this engine i know TONS of ppl who all curse this car and ya im a mopar fan but to be honest i used to HATE neons just pissed me off mopar could make a car like this, i have been driving hers for about 2 weeks now cuz my truck is in the shop and it is def growing on me, so iv been thinking about adding a CAI, but i cant figure out where the tube would go to actualy get cold air. like that engine bay is right full. other than that what can i do to this car to make it a bit more reliable and get better fuel economy. thanks guys

Old 09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

Well you'll be happy to know the 95 SOHC came with 6 more HP than the new ones due to the cam. Good things to look at changing would be the timing belt along with the head gasket. Was the mess on the trans oil? is it auto or stick?

here is the routing for the CAI. Remember to read the stickies
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-neon/109182-how-to-custom-3-0l-cold-air-intake-mod.html

Old 09-15-2008, 05:11 PM
red91RT
Veteran

there's lots of little things you might do...but here's one I haven't seen much of:

if you replace timing belt, and/or replace water pump while you're at it, I did a little spot weld on the timing belt gear to the pump shaft. If you do it in the right place it will help to hold the gear on that shaft long term. My dad decided to try this after I spun two of them over the years. After my last change (we also did the idler--good idea on a 95) it's worked just dandy and haven't lost the pump at all yet.--many 10's of thousands of miles.

If you do it, you can't get real messy. The end of the shaft has to still fit in the cover plate, etc. Just a tack weld to help that much more to keep it from spinning.

Quick Reply: just got a 95 neon SOHC need some advise