1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

more details on tranny swap...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 03:22 AM
reaperof_evil
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more details on tranny swap...

ok i have been looking up some problems that might be had while doin this theres a few thing i cant figure out such as reverse lights the yellow wire on the clutch pedal and the plug on the 5sd tranny and if i get urathane motor mounts all the way around will i need a bobble strut since its an issue about getting a mount made. i would like someone so show me a site or something on a more details instructions i already seen the one site but its not very detailed

Old 09-17-2008, 10:52 AM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this the thread you have already read?
https://www.msu.edu/~lareseer/trannySwap.html

For the reverse light plug:
In engine bay on front side of tranny. The connector with two wires on it is useless, so just zip-tie it up somewhere. The connector with 3 wires needs to be cut off on the plug end you need just the wires...you need to splice those wires into the MTX reverse light plug. The two purple wires go together, then the white wire goes to the yellow
wire on the car harness and the brown wire gets grounded to the frame.

In some cases it will be the purple-purple, white-white and yellow/with brown stripe that needs to get grounded.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:01 AM
reaperof_evil
Veteran

yeah thats the one i seen already and thanks i just got done like 5 mins ago putting the clutch pedal in which was alittle more of a pain in the *** that i thought it would be lol so now i have an auto with clutch pedal. when i get the head gasket fixed so i can drive it again im gunna start pulling the tranny thank god for this website im a good mechanic but never did anything like this and you's guys know your stuff i really appreciate it.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:03 AM
das2123
Legend

Clutch pedal is probably the hardest part to do. So the rest should be a cake walk for you.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:22 PM
reaperof_evil
Veteran

yeah it was a real pain makes it alot easier if you disconnect the steering column the only part im really concerned about is the bobble strut theres no way i can get one welded were i live so im hoping the urathane motor mounts will be good enough

Old 09-18-2008, 09:25 AM
spudsterier
Legend

since your using the urethane mounts, you wont need to worry about the bobble strut....hell, half of the 5-speed cars ive owned didnt even have a working bobble strut

the yellow wires on the clutch pedal are for the clutch start switch...if you dont hook them up, then you will just be able to start the car without pushing in the clutch....it usually isnt a problem if your used to doing it or you dont keep the car in gear when your not in it...

Old 09-18-2008, 09:42 AM
reaperof_evil
Veteran

ok kool i just have to get the motor fixed and hope i didnt cause more damage then is already cause i need to get a new water pump and headgasket done before i can work on the tranny and i need to get the axles from my donor car they are very hard to break loose lol and im not running it with the dohc auto axles it will most likely snap and ive broken them plenty of times i did the clutch pedal to get it out of the way as soon as i get the car drivable because of the hg it shouldnt take me more then a few hours so have a drivable 5spd car and i will have videos up when i have it all done and i need new tires so there gunna be some nice burnouts lol thanks again for everyones help

Quick Reply: more details on tranny swap...