1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Idle is all messed up

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:14 PM
chenzo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle is all messed up

Ok so i just got the new motor and the tranny swapped back in. after three weeks of dicking around. and it runs and drives decent. only 2 complaints. 1. the valve cover gasket is shot, going to fix that tomorrow. and 2. the idle is funny and inconsistent. it will idle high on startup and not idle down right away. and then when your going along to downshift, and you puish the clutch in, it hesistates for quite some time before the RPMS drop back down to idle. anyone know the problem? im kinda stumpped, looking for a solution. thanks.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:37 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vacuum leak? is the CEL on?

Old 09-21-2008, 09:14 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the problem is either a vaccum leak or a bad throttle position sensor

Old 09-21-2008, 11:22 AM
chenzo
Veteran

no, the CEL isnt on. i was thinking vacuum leak because the lines were awfully dry rotted.

and spud, how do i check the TPS?

Old 09-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Check the vacuum lines, mine did the exact same thing when I started it up after the head gasket.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:30 PM
chenzo
Veteran

yeah im going to do that at some point today hopefuly. ive got alot of stuff on my plate for the day. ill let you al know if i find the problem. thanks for the help.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:35 PM
chenzo
Veteran

ok so now i have a different problem. i went out to check the vaccuum lines, and i noticed that the egr tube into the intake manifold was loose. so i tightened that and thought that would fix the problem. well i started it up and it dies right away. it wont idle at all anymore. not even an eratic idle. so now what do i do? im getting sick and tired of fighting this. any help ASAP would be great.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:06 PM
chenzo
Veteran

bump. bump. bump. im friggin pissed off with this. will the egr valve being bad cause the car to die? i changed the sensors on the throttle body, and it worked fine for like 4 starts. then i took it for a drive and it kept dying. it would start right back up again and keep going if i kept the gas down and the rpms high.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:54 PM
chenzo
Veteran

ok so heres the update. ive been at the car all day. ive changed the TPS and IAC sensors on the TB, to no avail, i replaced the egr sensor thing (that black thing that clips to the intake) and still nothing. ive changed the plugs and wires, nothing. im stumped and i need help now. i am lost as hell. could it be the coil? the cam sensor? its pissing me off to the point of just getting rid of the car. let me know what you think it is.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:03 PM
chenzo
Veteran

will the egr valve cause that? im reading something on another site and ill post it here what i was reading and seeing. would that make sense then if when i remove the egr tube from the intake that it keeps running? it idles high with the tube disconnected, but it stays running...

''Try checking your EGR valve assembly. My 97 Neon was doing the same thing. It works by opening a small passageway between the exhaust and intake manifold to allow a metered amount of exhaust to flow back into the engine. This reduces combustion temperatures and helps control the formation of oxides of nitrogen. If it sticks in the open position or fails to close all the way, it acts like a vacuum leak resulting in a rough idle, hesitation and possible stalling. This is what my neon was doing. The valve was stuck open and would run great on short runs but not on long runs. The part cost only 80 bucks and it has been running great ever since''

Quick Reply: Idle is all messed up