1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

kickdown switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:15 PM
streetracer88
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kickdown switch

my kick down switch is really rusty on my 95 plymouth neon and i think thats the reason why it shifts hard and gets hung up because earlier i soaked it in wd-40 and then it shifted fine for about 15-20mins then it started again does anyone know if this would be the problem?the car sat for a while before i bought it but it has 66,xxx miles on it so any help is greatly appreciated thanks

Old 10-11-2008, 09:51 AM
bone33
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by streetracer88
my kick down switch is really rusty on my 95 plymouth neon and i think thats the reason why it shifts hard and gets hung up because earlier i soaked it in wd-40 and then it shifted fine for about 15-20mins then it started again does anyone know if this would be the problem?the car sat for a while before i bought it but it has 66,xxx miles on it so any help is greatly appreciated thanks
link to said problem might help, cuz i dont stalk you.

ok here is what you do. its a pain in the ***. take out battery and tray.

there is two cables attached to top of tranny. one is the shifter one is the kickdown. take the kickdown and shifter cables off. with the car chocked!!! spray wd-40 all around the shaft, let soak, spray more, then move the shaft up and down the gears to free it up. i would also clean up the shaft with a wire brush, and put some antiseize on that area. put cables back on with the clip. i think there is only one clip and the other one snaps on. go for a spin.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:06 PM
streetracer88
All Star

ill try this today too and let you know what i find thanks

Quick Reply: kickdown switch