1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

My 1st Gen work log. The rebuild!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:24 AM
1st Gen
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1st Gen work log. (edit) The Crank Kit!

1999 Neon Sport with DOHC

Pics start on post 31

For those of you that have been following my progress, and I'm sure that's not too many, I've had a pretty bad development. The one thread I started about my staling issue has become a bit of a moot point in the light of this new information. I believe I stated somewhere that the car leaks oil and that it was like that when we bought the car. It turns out the car also has a pretty bad knock. Yikes.

So, it looks like the car has been run out of oil and that there is a rod going out of it. I talked to an elder about it a bit and he suggested a crank kit, as well as a new oil pressure sending unit. I still don't know what is causing the staling problem but think it will work itself out during the whole engine rebuild process.

Yea, I'll be doing it myself. I have all the tools necessary but I've never dug into an engine that far. Since the engine only has 72K on it, I don't see myself doing much else besides the crank kit.

Suggestion and comments are welcome. I'm becoming more of a neon owner than I had anticipated. The jack *** that sold me this car needs an infection in his nose.

Last edited by 1st Gen; 03-13-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 10-22-2008, 03:19 PM
fsu182
Captain

i just rebuilt my 99 dohc over the summer. and it was my first build. we need to talk. there are a few tricks and tips i think that could really help you out.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:04 PM
1st Gen
Professional

My first question is, is it easier to take out the engine and transmission all at one time or to unbolt the tranny and just take out the engine.

How did your rebuild turn out? Did you have any troubles? Do you have a work log?

Thanks for your help too.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:29 PM
streetracer88
All Star

its easier i think to take the engine and tranny out at once personally

Old 10-23-2008, 05:54 PM
dirt_trac_racer_80jr
Professional

For me it has been easier 2 take the tranny out with the engine ...I've dun both ways and its just easier 2 bolt the tranny back on when its outside the car...you said ur just using a crank kit wats all in the kit ur gonna buy?...if it were me I'd do it right the first time ...it might cost ya mor noq but it'll save ya down the road..that's just me tho I hate doin things twice when it coulda been dun right the first time

Old 10-23-2008, 06:16 PM
1st Gen
Professional

I was thinking of doing the timing belt too, maybe the water pump as well. For the internal engine parts, the crank kit is all that's needed I think. It only has 75K~ on it.

This car is not really project worthy since it has a bit of body damage and has an ATX. I'm looking for reliability more than performance anyway since this is the kids car. If you think I should do some further maintenance, speak it. I may plastigage all the bearings just for good measure.

Last edited by 1st Gen; 10-23-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:27 AM
dirt_trac_racer_80jr
Professional

While I had it down that far I'd definatly change the timing belt and waterpump ...a gasket kit is around 70 bucks I'd do it if it were me ...then ya kno u have a dependable engine ...ur replacing the bearings 2 correct if u have a rod knock u probably have a spun bearing so ull need 2 do that also ...take this for wat its worth but that wat I'd do...and if u feel frisky have hone it and put new rings...don't change the rings without honing it ...the new rings won't seat because of the existing wear pattern

Old 11-02-2008, 04:01 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

engine and trans can come out from the top but youll need to remove the AC compessor

Old 11-03-2008, 05:56 AM
1st Gen
Professional

Originally Posted by dirt_trac_racer_80jr
While I had it down that far I'd definatly change the timing belt and waterpump ...a gasket kit is around 70 bucks I'd do it if it were me ...then ya kno u have a dependable engine ...ur replacing the bearings 2 correct if u have a rod knock u probably have a spun bearing so ull need 2 do that also ...take this for wat its worth but that wat I'd do...and if u feel frisky have hone it and put new rings...don't change the rings without honing it ...the new rings won't seat because of the existing wear pattern
I hadn't thought of doing the mains as well. Thanks.

I want to stay away from pulling the pistons out if I can help it. The engine has pretty low miles on it so I don't think that will be an issue.

I am going to want to buy a shop manual for this car. If someone here has one they need to get rid of, I will take it off your hands for a good price. The Schmucks down the street sells them too but I'd rather give forum members first crack.

After reading on the board for the last hour or so, I kind of wish this was a MXT. I'm not going to mod a ATX but am getting the bug. Oh well. I bought it for the kids and it will stay that way.

I'm going to go down to the local NAPA and price a crank kit, and just see if they're able to source them. I won't know if thats what I need until I have the car apart but it will give me a better idea of what kind of money I'll need on hand when I start this project.

Last edited by 1st Gen; 11-03-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:33 PM
1st Gen
Professional

There's a machine shop here close that will give me the best deal for the crank kit. @ $160 for crank grind and bearings, this job is looking pretty affordable. I'm having second thoughts about doing the water pump and the time belt though. The engine only has 71K on it and I already have more in this car that I ever planned on. Still, if I do all this, this car will be set for 200k.

I also found out that there are a few 97's in the j/y near here. I haven't seen them yet but will make the journey tomorrow to check them out.

I need the Haynes manual so will probably buy one of those tomorrow too.

Quick Reply: My 1st Gen work log. The rebuild!