1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

97 SOHC trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 05:00 PM
97singlecam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 SOHC trans problems

my friend has a 97 Plymouth Neon Expresso SOHC automatic that does not shift right... when you drive, it takes till about 45mph to shift to second, and only after you let off of the gas completely does it shift.. it will also try to shift back into first even if you just press down on the gas a little bit. the service engine soon light is on and has been since she bought the car about a year ago. she has also been having the trans issues the hole time... the car runs great it just is having the trans problems. there is a little bit of a winding noise, witch i know is a sign the trans is going out. i use to have a 93 duster with a 3.0 and it was winding for about a month before the trans went out... what im asking is, what could be causing this, i know that alot of cars have cylenoids that clog up and cause the car to shift wierd. could this be it?? and if so what can we do to clean them without taking the trans apart.. we are going to change the trans eventually, i can get one for around $100 and the local junk yard is loaded with first gen neons... but we want to find some way to make it a little smother till that happens....

any ideas??

Old 11-08-2008, 08:25 AM
grswat
Veteran

I would check the detent cable aka kickdown cable. It is connected to the trans and throttle body. Just try disconnecting it from the tb. It may be making the transmission think that the car is being floored and holding 1st gear.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:39 PM
streetracer88
All Star

or the tcc solenoid is bad on it cuz thats what i have to get replaced on my car just a thought no need for a arguement

Old 11-15-2008, 01:32 PM
97singlecam

removing the kick down cable worked... but it still has a winding noise, and it doesnt shift into 3rd?? but it goes from first to second at about 20mph instead of 45-50... and it is alot quieter thanks to a stock DOHC muffler i put on a while back.... and as far as i know today she is painting a huge smily face on the top and a star on the hood.... she already painted the spaces in the hubcaps gold.... i will be sure to get some pics of her car when she is done with it.... im sure nobody has ever seen a neon like hers before.... well maybe.. but still!!

Quick Reply: 97 SOHC trans problems