1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

new here and bad news.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:26 PM
clutchkicker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here and bad news.....

hey guys im from florida...i have a 98 expresso...neon r/t....dohc....and..well....

timing belt broke....it bent some exhaust valves...intake are good some how...this is my DD...and i want to keep it as cheap as possible..where can i get the exhast valves for really cheap?...and i also need a hydraulic timing belt tensioner..or what other option do i have? i cant find it at the autoparts and is 198$ at the dealer...NOT......

well....hope you guys can help me...

thanks in advance

william

Old 11-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

New head from a junkyard would be easier IMHO...
car-part.com is your friend. Found ones between $125 and $150 in different areas of Florida. Timing belt kit can be found at most any auto parts stores. call for prices. Lots of ppl do a mechanical tentioner upgrade, but I dont have a clue so I'm gunshy about that.

~Nate

Old 11-19-2008, 11:31 PM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nates_expresso
Lots of ppl do a mechanical tentioner upgrade, but I dont have a clue so I'm gunshy about that.

~Nate
i have never once heard of anyone doing an upgrade like that...

so anyways,
what exactly happened to the timing belt? did the belt break or did the tensioner pulley wear out?
the hydraulic tensioner would be the pin that puts tension on the tensioner pulley
if you just need the timing tensioner pulley, then they have them at autozone for about $22

as for valves, you can usually order them from most autoparts stores, or a machine shop can order them and install them

Old 11-19-2008, 11:37 PM
clutchkicker

somehow the pin at the hydraulic one bent...dont ask me how....i have no idea......i just need to run this things again..i cant afford to keep on DD my rig

Quick Reply: new here and bad news.....