1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Oil light at idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 09:29 AM
kabuk1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil light at idle

Just this morning as I was going to work my oil light started flickering & staying on at idle. It did not do it until I had been driving for about 20 minutes or so & the engine had warmed up. I know there's oil in it, and there is no CEL. It does have a bit of a rough idle, but it's always had that. The light only comes on at idle and the second I give it gas the light goes out. Any ideas what this could be? I'm sweating bullets, this car is my baby & I can't afford a major repair OR a new car

Last edited by kabuk1; 11-21-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:45 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

could be a fault in the wiring, a defective oil pressure sensor,or the engine is not producing enough pressure.

i think i would do an oil change and go about 5 up in oil viscosity, see if that helps first.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:07 AM
kabuk1
Professional

ok I figured it out. it turns out that my sending unit decided to pick this morning to just take a sh*t completely. I found out that's also where my oil was leaking from. started it up & looked at the sending unit, and oil was just pulsing out around it like a heartbeat. so its definitely the sending unit & NOT the oil pump, thanks god. I also adjusted my idle up a bit & haven't seen the oil light since.

Quick Reply: Oil light at idle