1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

No Turn Signals or Blower Motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:23 PM
dksob81
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Turn Signals or Blower Motor

I am working on a friends 1996 Dodge Neon and the Turn Signals do not work and the blower motor will not come on.

1). Turn Signals: I checked the FUSE (#6) and it is fine. I then thought it was the flasher - the 4-ways (hazard lights) work fine. Do these vehicles have 2 separate flashers (1 for hazards and 1 for turn signals)? I replaced the Turn Signal Switch and still same problem. The only thing I can come up with is there is a separate flasher for the turn signals and it is not located in the same area as the one for the hazards, located in the fuse block on drivers side of dash.

2). Blower Motor: Soemone told him the Blower Motor Resistor was the problem but he could not find it, so he brang it to me to replace and figure out the turn signal problem. Well I told him usually when the reistor goes bad on most cars you will only have HIGH setting for fan speed. So first I checked the blower motor took it out and manually applied power to the motor and the fan works fine, so I then went ahead and replaced the resistor (located under the cowl) and still same thing. I checked FUSE #7 and the fuse is good. He hasn't drove this car for quite awhile because it had a pretty bad tranny leak and they got a new car and want to use this as a winter beater. Well a few days ago they went to start it and he said soemthing about the alternator being bad and they had that replaced along with the tranny filter and gasket. Now they notice none of this stuff is working - they are not sure if it was working when they had it towed to get worked on or not. The only thing I can think of for the blower motor would be the HVAC Control Unit.

Any Ideas would be appreciated.
Joe

Old 12-04-2008, 07:00 AM
dksob81

Any Suggestions?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:07 AM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

test the blower motor with a 12 volt source like a battery charger. and normaly i would say the switch are you for sure the switch you have works?

Old 12-04-2008, 12:20 PM
GLXRustang
Professional

Questions:
1) Are you getting voltage to the blower connector?
2) Are the bulbs blown out? You can't assume that the occurances are related.
3) Did you test the blower motor like DOHC said?
4) Did you test your altenator?

My guess, though I haven't had the pleasure of working on a neon's HVAC, is that there's bad wiring somewhere. Other than the basic electrical checks, i'm at a loss. Good luck...

Old 12-04-2008, 01:54 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ignition switch. Next time you turn on the car. turn the blower or turn signals on. and move the key back towards you ever so slightly and see if they turn on. Its a common problem and my Neon does it but i just move the key back and everything works.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:50 AM
dksob81

Well I haven't tested to see if i am getting power to the Blower motor but I know the blower motor works because I had it out and ran power directly to it from the battery and it turns on. As for the turn signals I would assume the bulbs are not burned out because the 4-ways work fine. No, I am not sure the MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH works, I got it from autozone so it is questionable....lol

The Ignition Switch could be a possibilty, I know the ignition switch is going bad because the car doesn't shut of when you turn the key off, you pull the key out then a second later it shuts off.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:59 AM
DOHCneon95

my car had a resistor problem last year and right now is having another one...i have figured mine out...try pulling the **** out and wiggling it around as you turn it to different speeds as this is what i have to do because mine is shorted out...im replacing it tomorrow

Old 12-07-2008, 08:26 AM
dksob81

Originally Posted by DOHCneon95
my car had a resistor problem last year and right now is having another one...i have figured mine out...try pulling the **** out and wiggling it around as you turn it to different speeds as this is what i have to do because mine is shorted out...im replacing it tomorrow
Are you replacing the control unit?

Old 12-07-2008, 06:05 PM
dksob81

Well I tried another HVAC Control Unit thinking that the turn signals were an unrelated issue and that didn't work either so I checked all the wires that plug into the unit and and I got NO POWER on any of the wires. So I checked for power (using my circuit tester) at the fuse (#7) and I got no power on either ends of the fuse same goes for the Turn signal fuse (#6) and oh yea the AIR BAG light was on as well. and same thing goes for the air bag fuse (#5). Hummmmm, so I removed the fuse block from the dash and checked for power on the back and I get no power from the power wire (ORANGE/BLACK or BLACK/ORANGE can't remember exactly) to that row of fuses. So I ran a jumper wire from another row that only has power when the key is on and 'voila' everything works again (Turn Signals, Blower Motor, AIR BAG light off). Well so I guess my question is where does that BLACK/ORANGE wire come from. They said they had a problem with the alternator and burnt up or something and when they got it back fromt he shop thats when they noticed these issues, but they don't drive the car much so it might not be related. Any Ideas, anyone with a FSM?

Old 04-24-2012, 03:17 AM
Jesus Gonzalez

I had the sort of the same issue, no back reverse lights, air bag light always on and no blower motor working, i used a jumper piece of wire from other fuse row, and everything went fine, and yes that black and orange wire still doesn't have power, it goes to the ignition switch but in there, it has no power either, but the wire itself is ok, i checked its resistance and its ok from one end to the other, now i need to find out the rest from there.

Quick Reply: No Turn Signals or Blower Motor