1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98' Neon won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 08:32 AM
bradford2nd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98' Neon won't start

Hey Guys,

I have read many threads as to the culprit for my neon not starting. But wanted to get some first hand advice.

I have about 150k on my neon and it has been a pretty reliable car. The normal things that have broken I have replaced. It has always started strongly and never faded on me.

Yesterday morning, I get in the car to warm it up. It starts fine. I allow the car to warm up for about 10 minutes, just like I do most winter mornings. After the 10 minutes, I shift the ATX into reverse, back up about 10 feet, with no hesitation, shift into drive and the car dies. Just like I turned the key off. I shifted back to park and try to start the car. It cranks over, but will not start. I didn't have time to try any basic diagnostics, so I jumped in my truck and left for work. Came home that night and it still wouldn't start. It is turning over, but just won't fire.

Anyone have any ideas what might have happen. It really perplexes me that it started fine that morning, and was fine till I shifted to drive. I was thinking that perhaps a random surge of electrical power or something might have blown a fuse? I have no idea. But it died like someone pulled a plug or something.

I probably won't have any time to tinker with it till this weekend. But wanted to get some good advice before I start tearing things apart. I really want to get it running, I love my little daily driver. Great on gas!

Thanks.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:25 AM
12 volt
Record Breaker

maybe a fuel problem??

Old 12-17-2008, 11:29 AM
chenzo
Veteran

no spark maybe?

Old 12-17-2008, 11:37 AM
bradford2nd

Originally Posted by 12 volt
maybe a fuel problem??
I was thinking that, but the tank that is in the car now is about 3/4's down and I had no problems before now.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:38 AM
bradford2nd

Originally Posted by chenzo
no spark maybe?
I changed the plugs about 2 years ago. Would that make them way over due? Either way, I was just going to change them out again. It is easy enough and not that expensive.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:11 PM
chenzo
Veteran

i change my about every 9000 miles, about every 3rd oil change. I do alot of driving though. The pugs in my dakota are about 2 years old, but that hardly gets driven. Id say change em, and try that as well as see if you have a fuel problem. when you turn the key to the on position, do you hear the fuel pump?

Old 12-17-2008, 12:37 PM
bradford2nd

Originally Posted by chenzo
i change my about every 9000 miles, about every 3rd oil change. I do alot of driving though. The pugs in my dakota are about 2 years old, but that hardly gets driven. Id say change em, and try that as well as see if you have a fuel problem. when you turn the key to the on position, do you hear the fuel pump?
I am going to the parts store this weekend, pick up some new plugs and a spark tester. To check to see if the ignition coil is sending spark. I didn't even think to see if I could hear the fuel pump coming on when I turned the key on. I will give that a shot tonight. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:57 AM
bradford2nd

Quick update for anyone that maybe interested. Still have not had time to a thorough investigation yet. But I hopped in the car last night and tried to see if I could hear the fuel pump. I don't. I am pretty sure it isn't running right when I turn the key. I think I remember it being kinda loud. This weekend I will check all the relay's/fuses. See what I can find.

Quick Reply: 98' Neon won't start