1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

99 DOHC Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:08 AM
dksob81
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 DOHC Timing Belt

I am replacing and engine in a buddy's 99 neon DOHC (hydraulic tensioner), and while I am at it I am doing the timing belt and water pump before I put the engine in the car.

My Timing Belt book says:
1) Check auto tensioner for leaks, etc...
2) Slowly compress tensioner in vise and insert allen key or apropriate tool, etc....
3) Ensure Camshaft Timing Marks are aligned.
4) Set crankshaft timing mark 1/2 tooth before TDC mark.
5) Install timing belt to the sprockets and pulleys in the following order (Crank, Water Pump, Idler Pulley, Intake Cam, Exhaust Cam, Tenioner Pulley).
6) Turn crankshaft until TDC mark aligned to take up belt slack.
7) Install auto tensioner, but do not tighten tensioner retaining bolts.
8) Apply torque of 12 ft-lbs. clockwise to tensioner pulley.
9) With torque maintained, push auto tensioner firmly against tensioner pulley bracket and torque retaining bolts to 23 ft-lbs..
10) Remote allen key from auto tensioner.
11) The tension is correct if the allen wrench can be removed and re-inserted freely. (if not, repeat steps 7-10)
12) Turn crankshaft clockwise 2 turns and check timing marks (Cam and Crank) are aligned.
13) install components in reverse order of removal.
14) Torque Crankshaft pulley bolt to 105 ft-lbs.

Well the problem when I get all this done and turn the crank 2 turns Clockwise back to TDC the Cam Gear marks are a little off about 1/2 tooth. Is this normal and should the be dead on?

Joe

Old 01-11-2009, 01:11 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

should be dead on, make sure you cam is lned up on the dot and that your crank is half a tooth from tdc. Then when you release the tensioner it should pull the belt and eliminate the extra 1/2 tooth.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:32 PM
dksob81

well the instructions say to turn the crank to TDC to take up slack, then install Tensioner and rotate crank 2 turns and recheck marks.

when you turn the CRANK Clockwise (TDC) it spins the Intake Cam Slightly, then when you apply the torque to the tensioner pulley and set the tensioner in place and everthing this turns the exhaust cam slightly and throws it off.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 PM
dksob81

I don't have a garage so I am working on this car out in the weather and after work it is too dark to get anything done, I will be getting back at it saturday and will try to reset the timing, i will let you know what I come up with.

Quick Reply: 99 DOHC Timing Belt