1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Stock Cam Specs??? Head Designs...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cum4acummins
Anyone happen to know the stock cam specs? I was wondering what the DOHC, SOHC 95 AND 96+, ACR/RT SOHC, Magnum specs were? I want to upgrade but want to know what I am looking for.
The 1G dohc head, is not the same as the 2001+ dohc head (srt head). While both aare dohc heads, the 1G head has larger exhaust ports and exhaust valves than the srt head. The exhaust cam on the 1G head has more duration, and is used as an upgrade by many srt owners.

I know that people are doing head swaps... so here's one Is a head swap more beneficial than a port job? Are teh ACR/RT magnum head the same as a SRT4 head besides the cam?
The 1G dohc head is the best head for all out performance. The 2G sohc magnum head flows almost as well, but is limited by not having removable camshafts. This limits it from using larger, lopy camshafts like the dohc can.

Is a Ported Cast intake manifold better than a Plastic?
Well, there is no plastic intake manifold for the 1G dohc head, unless you want to redrill the head for the different bolt pattern of the pt/stratus intake manifold. Just stick with the ported cast. If using boost, cast only for sohc or dohc. Plastic have been rumored/known to burst/fail under heavy boost.

What is optimum Exhaust size?
Depends on what you are building. You never did state what neon you have or what you want to do with the car.

Anyone done the cheap poly mount upgrade with window adhesive? (window that are glued to track instead of bolted)?
Best to use new engine mounts when filling with window urethane. Using new urethane on and old mounts is not as stable or resistant to vibration as a new filled mount is.

I was thinking of modding cheaply.... So what I was thinking on was a port job, [b]60MM[b] from a Jeep 4.0, some long tube headers and 2 3/4 or 3" exhaust pipe. I have the notorious head gasket leak. Would that gain a bunch or not too much? So far I have a 3" CAI under front bumper with a 3" hole in bumper, no muffler and a chopped shift ****.
Fixing the headgasket should be done asap, and have the head checked as i get the impression this has been going on for a while. For cheap performance, 60mm tb port-matched to the intake manifold. Port match the head to the intake and exhaust manifold. The header is not really cheap, but certainly beneficial. A ebay udp would help considerably. On a dohc, it got my neon into low 14's, with a mopar pcm.

Hoping to have a good autox car for summer since my monster Fiero is not happening.

Main goal is 4-7K RPM. Hopefully something that'll hit 14.5 or low 15 cheaply.

Last edited by Ghost Neon 2; 01-28-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:02 AM
cum4acummins

is the 2 piece aluminum interchangeable with plastic intake? Pretty sure gonna head to junk yard this weekend. need to know if they are or not. seen some ebay long tube headers are they worth it? BTW how do you remove the linkage butterfly shaft, and where do you mount the bracket for the cables

Old 01-28-2009, 10:06 AM
GLXRustang
Professional

Spawn thanks for that SOHC cam specs. I meant to say that the specs I posted were for the DOHC. The DOHC cam profile is hotter than the SOHC for sure! No wonder people gain so much from a DOHC swap!

DOHC duration @ 0.050" 196/196 and .344"/.315" for lift
SOHC duration @ 0.050" 192/198 and .309"/.275" for lift

Combine that with a shorter runner intake and higher flowing DOHC and the SOHC doesn't stand a chance!

Thanks for the info for the 60mm swap. I will be junkyard hopping this year for an auto jeep 4.0l throttle body

Old 01-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

is the 2 piece aluminum interchangeable with plastic intake? Pretty sure gonna head to junk yard this weekend. need to know if they are or not. seen some ebay long tube headers are they worth it? BTW how do you remove the linkage butterfly shaft, and where do you mount the bracket for the cables

No the plastis neon IM is no interchangable with the dohc aluminum. The port runners on the sohc are smaller and different shape than the dohc. I personally went with a mid-length stainless steel header than cost about $86 shipped off ebay, and the gains were great. Would have been better with tuning. Got bashed by many on org for speaking in doubt that the LTH for a neon may not be worth the cost. Most of the lth are not even stainless steel, which was a dealer-breaker IMO. Speanding $300+ for a steel header that would rust in a year or too seemed ludacris. My header will last much longer, cost less, and produce on par with may lth on the market. You figure they are all netting about 10hp per product, from a $100 pacesetter shorty (maybe 5hp-8hp depending on other mods) to a $400 blockdog lth making up to 15hp. The results really do not justify the price at all. Sorry to run on that way. Cams are a far better investment.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:24 PM
das2123
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A cammed engine always sounds nice!

Welcome back Ghost!

Old 01-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by das2123
A cammed engine always sounds nice!

Welcome back Ghost!
Thanks Das. It's good to be back.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:02 PM
GLXRustang
Professional

I love going to youtube listening to those cammed up neons! Has anyone ever put in a crane # 18?

I was thinking of getting the brian crower stage 3 cam for the srt4 only cause its lift is pretty high and its on sale for $375. And it would work well on a boosted neon which I hope to one day be..

Old 02-01-2009, 01:32 AM
cum4acummins

well I looked at a few neons... seems like they all share the same type of intake manifold. so how does the 4.0 jeep tb fit on them? the single circle throat versus the single circle with a semi oval off one side?

Quick Reply: Stock Cam Specs??? Head Designs...