1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Need some advice :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:13 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Need some advice :)

Ok so my girlfriend just got a 96 neon (ill have to check to see what flavor, motor ect its got), I have a 99 dakota but I dont know jack bout the neon. Is there anything I should look out for or anything I should change before it goes out? It has 168k on it but the guy she got it from said he rebuilt the motor so it only has 65k on it. Not sure i beleive that being it leaks oil, not sure how much yet. Doesnt appear to be much at all.

Its got fresh oil in it but Im going to check the air filter and spark plugs sunday. Any advice or suggestions would be great

Old 02-14-2009, 10:22 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

I run champion coppers spark plugs in all of my neons, seem to make then run the best. I would check the compression on it, then you will know how good the motor is. Thats about all I have to say for now.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:08 PM
sabin420
Captain

Compression check, inspect the timing belt, fix the oil leaks...noone likes a puddle of oil in there driveway. check the tranny fluid, and change the spark plugs, oil, and oil filter, inspect the axel boots for cracks and tears, check brake pads, rotors, and fluids, change anitfreeze...that's the first thing i do every time I get a vehicle. Good or not. It's just my preference.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:18 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

Ok well the fluids and plugs I kinda figured but ill check out the axle boots too. Ill need to give it a once over here as soon as i get a chance.

Is the haynes manual a good choice for this car, or is there a better one?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:23 PM
sabin420
Captain

It's a good idea to pick one up. Anything that can't help you with, I'm sure someone in here will have an answer to help you out.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:02 AM
streetracer88
All Star

i heard chilton is a better manual as it has more details but it does cost a little bit more

Old 02-17-2009, 06:29 PM
RoaminGnome
All Star

Well to be honest she just got it for a cheap car. I bought a bently (big for european cars) for my BMW, its like a $100 manual. I dont mind spending a little more but Ill want it to be better than the haynes.

I dont really like the haynes, some of the instructions are so useless. Im not stupid but I dont have a lot of hands on experience with cars so sometimes i need the little extra explanation. But I dont know squat about the neon so anything is better than nothing! BUT I work on my cars at my parents and they dont have the internet at all, so I need everything in print

Quick Reply: Need some advice :)