1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

SOHC aluminum intake worth $60, NECESSARY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:27 AM
cum4acummins
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC aluminum intake worth $60, NECESSARY?

I have a 95 SOHC and want to put a Jeep TB on it. Wondering if the Aluminum intake is worth $60 and is it necessary to put on a Jeep TB. I cannot figure out a way to put on to a Plastic Manifold. First off has the jeep tb been on a plastic manifold? How was it done? Another thing that I notice is the SOHC Aluminum Manifold is a one piece design. How would a person port and polish with out extrude hone? Better yet how much is extrude hone process? Just trying to find the best possible way to make my car breathe better. Next would be port and polish, match exhaust final would be a 16 Crane cam.

Gotta work systematically 4 stroke engine so, Intake Compression Power(Ignition Fuel) Exhaust. Except compression is expensive. Stock fueling and ignition is fine also for my needs.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Spawne32
Professional

only advantage over the plastic is the fact that you can do work to it, i have one here if your interested in buying

Old 02-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker
Default SOHC aluminum IM

$60 is kinda high, but it depends on your needs. The sohc AIM is more saught after by turbo builders, as the plastic will hold a limited amount of boost. So if you are going boost, it is a must, as they are in the rare category.

If n/a is your desire, then it is not such a big deal, depending on how far you wanna take your neon. A local friend of mine was selling a sohc magnum IM that has been extrude honed for about $180. It has the butterflies removed, and is welded together. Something like that would take care of your worries. It's pricey, but the extrude hone service is great when purchased used. They retail for $399 last I saw. Howell Automotive had this service on their site, but I STRONGLY advise against seeking their help. They are notorius for delayed shipping. Six months + . Finally got a EH dohc IM for my build, and at quite a deal.

Back to topic, believe someone managed to get a 60mm tb on a plastic IM. Some reshaping with a Dremel should do the trick. Doubt the opening matches, so you are not getting the full benefit. Had to reshape my dohc IM to fit a 60mm tb. Polishing the neck are is very simple really.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:23 PM
cum4acummins

Well.... It is possible to get the Jeep TB on a plastic manifold then? As I was looking at it it seemed like the Jeep TB had a smaller flange than the plastic or cast for that matter.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 PM
sabin420
Captain

I like the plastic...you can do the same to the plastic, it's just a lot easier to mess up. Plus, the aluminum will heat up more causing higher intake air temperature. It's only about a 2% increase in power at most. But it won't hold boost like the aluminum would.

Quick Reply: SOHC aluminum intake worth $60, NECESSARY?