1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

I like my exhaust crack

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:20 AM
GLXRustang
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I like my exhaust crack

I've got the dreaded DOHC exhaust manifold crack, which started small like an inch but looks all the way cracked in half now. I like the noise it makes, but I'm afraid of my daughter whiffing exhaust fumes (I like the smell).

How should I fix it? Can it be welded on the car, or will I have to replace it?

Or should I go with an ebay cheap-o header? Anyone else got an exhaust crack like this???

Old 02-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

The crack in the factory exhaust manifold is quite common. The recommended replacement really depends on what you want. Persoanlly, I chose this ebay mid-length header for my dohc

At the time it cost about $86 shipped, which is a steal for a stainless steel header. WHen a part fails, to me, that is the best time to upgrade. Buying a stock manifold cost the same as your adverage header anyhow. Getting a long tube header was really more than I wanted to spend, and with no dyno proven comparison it was a no brainer. Especially sense most of the popular lth like the Black dog and Fast Fabs were not made in stainless steel and would rust out. Serious was of money, certainly for those not keeping the car long term.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:21 PM
GLXRustang
Professional

sounds good, I'm bidding on one right now!

Old 03-12-2009, 01:06 PM
GLXRustang
Professional

Alright, I got my header, how do I install it? The collector is stainless, but can I still weld it to the pipe? Its longer than the manifold so I'm gonna haf to cut the old pipe alittle to weld the new collector on.

Also, that ball flange collector end on the header looks like a restriction, could I cut that ball flange off and use a gasket or a band clamp?

Quick Reply: I like my exhaust crack