1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Will this fit on a 96 neon? HELP! Struts and springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 PM
onesmokinduramax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this fit on a 96 neon? HELP! Struts and springs

Ok this is my first post i did a search but didnt come up with anything.. My g/f has a 96 neon her brother bought it new and she bought it a few years back.

The struts just went out in the back and the front ones will need replaced soon..I found a set of 4 struts and springs came off a 04 dodge neon SRT4 has less then 5,000 miles on them Would this fit on a 96 neon? I dont know anything about neon's... Please any one with info please give me a hand.

Thanks Mark

P.S if it dont work can some one tell me where i can just get new struts and springs as a kit just for the back of the car only. I looked on ebay i didnt find any thing. Also i went to my local parts store and there wanting around 400 bucks for 2 struts and springs...

Last edited by onesmokinduramax; 03-11-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:05 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

2nd gen suspension is shorter. I dont think the struts will work at all. I could be wrong...

Old 03-11-2009, 09:28 PM
sabin420
Captain

it will raise the neon a few inches.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:57 PM
onesmokinduramax
Cool

Originally Posted by sabin420
it will raise the neon a few inches.

That would be fine if thats all it dose. Will it bolt right up with out any mods... The guiy that has the springs and struts wats 200 bucks for it and would for ever thing i think thats a deal. I just went up to auto zone and they said it will not fit but i dont think they guy even know what he was talking about

Old 03-11-2009, 10:06 PM
sabin420
Captain

They both use the same McPherson strut assy. The SRT-4 has a stiffer spring rate, not much, and a taller strut tower so therefore a longer shock.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:29 PM
onesmokinduramax

So pretty much you all are saying it will just make the car sit lit littel bit higher? Has any one do this to the 1-generation neon with any other issues? Her car is all stock.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Yes they will fit, but that does not mean they shoudl be used. They raise a 1G nearly twice the stock ride height. Keep in mind what that strut spring combo is made for. Not the performance part, but the car itself. The srt weighs 500+ more pounds than a 1G neon. It is not that same setup, and can be dangerous on the open road.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:57 PM
onesmokinduramax

Originally Posted by Ghost Neon 2
Yes they will fit, but that does not mean they shoudl be used. They raise a 1G nearly twice the stock ride height. Keep in mind what that strut spring combo is made for. Not the performance part, but the car itself. The srt weighs 500+ more pounds than a 1G neon. It is not that same setup, and can be dangerous on the open road.

Ok thanks that made my mind up im not going to buy them... Can any one tell me where i can get struts and springs for this car at a good price?

Old 03-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

Do you have air tools? If not, get quick struts for about $230 each... If you're a gulttion for punishment, or you do have air tools, just about any parts store carrys Monroe gas matics... Cheaper then a modded one, ride ok, stock height...
$50 each for the struts, rear mounts are about $40 each, front mounts are about $60 each. Reuse the springs...

sometimes stores will have them for about $10 off each...

~Nate

Quick Reply: Will this fit on a 96 neon? HELP! Struts and springs