1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Idle overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:05 PM
lexxerd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE:

Okay so I replaced the fuse and the rad fan relay. Neither solved the issue. The fans are not coming on at all. They are not seized, I checked that. What is the next possible problem? Even after resetting the CEL, I immediately got code 12 and 35 back. 35 being "Rad Fan control relay circuit". Any suggestions?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:23 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm, might have the issue I had which i didn't fix. I just installed a toggle switch but anyways, theres always looking for wires that are corroded or something. Theres also the coolant temp sensor.

BUT if you can take a fan off and hot wire it to the battery and see if it even moves. that might work. otherwise I am no help lol.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:00 PM
lexxerd

UPDATE:

Ive got a new temp sensor im going to change out which I'm not crossing fingers that its the fix cause when it overheats the gauge does go up and down like it should but we'll see. Im also gonna hot wire the fans and see if the motors are even working. If the motors are working the only other thing I can even think is a short or split wire somewhere that Ill have to trace.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:21 PM
lexxerd

OKAY ive got some new info I hope someone can help me out with. Both fans are working just fine when connected straight to the battery which is putting out ~12.43 Volts. I have figured out that with the replay plugged in the leads that come from the relay that go to the fan are putting out about ~11.32 Volts which is not power the fans. It is consistently at this voltage with AC or not, it doesnt change. My question is what could be causing this power drop? I did replace the relay which did not change it a bit so I went back to the one I had which does continue the circuit fine, hopefully I just didnt get a dud from the auto store but I doubt this is the case. What can I do to get the relay leads to go to the 12V range? Could the rad fan relay fuse need to be something other than 30A? would rewiring the power to the relay solve this? Any suggestions are welcome. I have attached a photo for a better understanding.

EDIT: If car is running I get 13V+ but still with the fans hooked to this voltage they do not start up. Ive ran a separate ground to eliminate that as a problem and still no spinning. If I take that same hot wire that im hooking into the relays output voltage and run the wire to the car battery it works. WTF?!

Last edited by lexxerd; 04-05-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:56 AM
lexxerd

Secondly, I dont really want to have to do this being the relay CEL will be on always but what could I wire the hot for the fans into that is key activated. So that the fans come on when the car is started, bypassing the relays?

Quick Reply: Idle overheating issue