1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

99 Neon 2.0L DOHC timing problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 10:36 AM
mrstubb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 99 Neon 2.0L DOHC timing problem

PLEASE HELP!!!
I bought a 1999 Neon Sport 2.0L DOHC for my son's 16th birthday (as is/no warranty ) On the way home with it, the timing belt broke. After having it towed to my house, began to fix it. Had to have head refinished & valves replaced. Put everything back together - head, new timing belt (double checked timing marks) - still won't start! I have taken it apart & put it all back together so many times I can probably do it in my sleep. It only cranks over but it will not start. What am I doing wrong or what else can I do/need to do?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

With all the timing marks lined up it should fire right up... i just put a water pump and timing belt on the 97 dohc i just bought... water pump failed and took out the belt... but i didn't have any bent valves or anything... once i lined up the timing marks and slid the belt in place car fired right up... the only thing i can think of is one of the mark isn't lined up right?

Old 04-03-2009, 03:13 PM
GLXRustang
Professional

I suspect your timing marks are correct. Sometimes you have to disconnect and reconnect battery and then turn engine over several times to get it to fire. Not sure why, but works for me. Next, verify that you have spark, ground a plug and connect to spark wire then crank. You should see rapid blue sparks. If you don't see sparks, make sure cam sensor, coil, and pcm are connected. If you do see sparks then do the battery thing again and pray that you've got the timing marks right.

Quick Reply: 99 Neon 2.0L DOHC timing problem