1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

oil cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Altima_wb
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because the turbo don't need all your engine oil to feed it... the cooler you want all of your engine oil to go threw it... so that it actually cools all of your oil down if you just use the lil bit thats going to come out of the pressure switch port your only cooling a tiny bit of the oil down at a time...
oilcooler sandwhich adapter for a decent price:
http://www.howellautomotive.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=763

you could also check ebay for them i've seen them on there and i believe they are cheaper

Old 05-05-2009, 12:34 AM
justinsanders
Captain

ok perfect thanks alot. now this will make all the oil go through the cooler first right? will it still leave me with plenty of thread for the filter to screw to?

when i plan on turboing the car ill run the oil feed straight from the cooler so its cold oil going into the turbo then loop it into the radiator and cool it once again since i have an automatic transmission radiator in my 5 speed car

Old 05-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

the sandwich adapter screws on like an oilfilter and then has a new threaded part for your filter to screw onto...

Old 05-05-2009, 02:52 PM
justinsanders
Captain

awesome thanks but thats still a little expensive

Old 05-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

Really, this is not a necessary mod, those things are PRONE to failure. If you do go this route, find one from a reputable manufacture.

~Nate

Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 PM
justinsanders
Captain

well my friend has an eclipse with the 420a motor and his oil level was perfect and it hadn't been too many miles on the last oil change when he spun a rod bearing and got terrible knocking sounds. it ground down the crank alot and tore up the bearing. im not sure what viscosity oil it was but it showed signs of extreme heat. idk what the exact problem was but i dont want that to happen to me so i want to throw on an oil cooler plus i plan on going turbo later and it'll help.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

sounds like the oil pump failed... but even so i'm planing on an oil cooler for some reason my neon don't like trips much over a 100miles at a time... it seems like if the trip is much longer then that i start going threw oil... its like the oil is getting to hot... which i've had buddies with other cars have the same issue... daily driving i don't hardly go threw any oil... like a 1/4qt per 1k miles...

Last edited by Altima_wb; 05-06-2009 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: oil cooler?