1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Cheap source of fuel filler neck FOUND!!! Replace yours!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap source of fuel filler neck FOUND!!! Replace yours!!

My fuel pump took a crap, so I'm in the middle of a walbro 255LPH swap ($100 vs stock 110LPH for $240) on my 99 expresso. I've always had poor milage, like low 20's in town. Get like 38 or so highway, so i figured heavy foot...

Dropping the tank, i noticed a strong fuel smell from the filler neck area. I undid the fuel filler neck, and noticed where the factory patch is, was wet with fuel. Poked my screwdriver right threw it... My car's down for another few days (DAMN, like i need an excuse to ride my cycle in this weather), but hopefully I should get an improvement in fuel milage... due to it not leaking...

Dealership wants around $210 for this part, No other parts stores can get it. Rock auto wants $170...

EBAY SELLER epartpal has it for $97 new...

We'll see how it fits, but for $70 less then anyone else, it should be a good deal. I plan on undercoating it before I install it. That a good idea or no?

~Nate

Last edited by Nates_expresso; 04-21-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:07 AM
GLXRustang
Professional

Yeah! Mine did the same damn thing! Always noticed the smell of fuel around that tire area and yeah, actually poked a screw driver thru mine as well. I cut out the rusted part out of the middle and used a flexible rad hose to couple the two together. It should work unitl the rest of it rusts out lol

Old 04-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Altima_wb
Captain

nice I'll have to take a look at mine this weekend when i'm working on the car... gonna rotate tires anyway and tint the windows lol should be a great weekend project lol... and but now i got more to do now lol oh well weather is gonna be great anyway gives me an excuse to be outside...

Lil bit off topic but Nates_expresso what town you live in sounds like you live pretty close to me...

Old 04-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

GLXRustang, radiator hose isnt fuel resistaint, and gets all mushy on the inside. That gummy crap might clog your filter, I'd epoxy it or something for a temp fix.
This is what happened when I thought to take a wire wheel to the "surface rust" that I poked through... I planned on fixing it, before this, with epoxy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t/DSC00771.jpg
My one and only bumpersticker
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v644/NathanEbert/DSC00772.jpg

Altima_wb, Im about a half hour South/East of you

Old 04-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

Nice that make yet another neon guy in the area... lol if you see a blue 4door sport... with projectors... and stock except for the exhaust tips painted semi gloss black its me... and after this weekend it will have at least the rear to side windows tinted lol... or don't forget my favorite mod lol the 2 car seats in the back... lol i love my kids

Last edited by Altima_wb; 04-22-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

Tint party?
PM SENT
~Nate

Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 AM
GLXRustang
Professional

Ah crap. It was a temp fix that turned into smthing more.. I need a new filler anyway since the whole thing was rusted just not rusted thru yet.

The hayes says the fuel filter cant be serviced so how should I do that? If I got to drop the tank, I may put in a spool boy and 255 lph just in case...

Old 04-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

Aight my chilton manual says that on 95s they had a fuel filter that was on the "frame" rail in front of the tank...and on 96-99 neons its a combination fuel filter/pressure regulator... so its right by the fuel sending unit but from the pictures i see of it it don't look like you need to drop the tank although it would make it easier...

Old 04-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

I guess you could do it without dropping the tank, but it's seriously not a big deal. New straps are $30, make sure to have them on hand incase your bolts spin. A good tin snips will take care of them. I didnt have any problems with mine, i soaked them with PB blaster every night for a week before hand... Check the filler neck before also, if it looks rusty, especially around the factory patch (which does NOT help), plan on epoxying it at the least (or replaceing it)

Stuff to have on hand:
walbro 255 kit ($100 from modern)
fuel tank straps ($30 from advance)
1ft of 1 3/4" ID fuelproof hose ($15, napa)
2, 2" hose clamps
Fuel filler neck ($115 or so from ebay. BUY NEW!)

Run it dry or almost so
D/C the batt
Release fuel pressure using the valve on the fuel rail
Undo the 3 screws by the fuel door
Cut the fuel hose in half. I could NOT get it to come off. Mabey you can...
Disconnect the fuel line (2 clips on the side of the connector)
Disconnect the fuel pump relay
Disconnect the two vapor lines (both are by the connection between the fuel hose and tank)
Drop the tank (2 13mm bolts)
Mark the fuel ring with a perminent marker/paint stick (canister/ring and tank)
Follow the instructions with the kit for installing the pump.

Plan on replacing the fuel filler, I've never seen a good one up north...
~Nate

Quick Reply: Cheap source of fuel filler neck FOUND!!! Replace yours!!