1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

goin turbo...got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 10:41 PM
3rd white
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default goin turbo...got some questions

all right guys. i finally got my hands on a srt-4 turbo and mani. im gettin the stock bov with it too. but i was told that the wastegate will not work with my 96 dohc cuz it is electronic. so i need to know what kind of wastegate will be best. bear in mind im not gonna be runnin as the fastest neon but im also not willing to cut corners just to save a few bucks. also i was wonderin if anyone knew what i need to do to convert my computer. i know the stock pcm isnt designed for boost. i also know that the mopar performance pcm isnt designed for it either. so if any1 could help that would be greatly appreciated. plus, if anyone has a fuel rail that they are tryin to get rid of, i could use a new one for this build. thanx in advance guys.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:12 AM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

stock srt-4 wastegate runs 1.5-2 psi on the 2.0 (atleast both of mine do). They have kenetic ones and agp's or the ebay knock of agp. Which are all adjustable and aftermarket. I would go with the agp. You need to use ur stock ecu unless you do a stand alone like MS. Use a missing link or map clamp so the ecu wont see the boost, then use a rrfpr and injectors for ur fuel. Stock fuel rail works good for a stock boosted motor.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Nates_expresso
Professional

What size injectors are you running (or do you think you should be running?) and where can you get them cheap?

Arent the stock ones like 18lb injectors?
~Nate

Old 04-24-2009, 01:30 AM
3rd white
Rookie

alright...call me a noob if u want but some of these abbreviations are goin over my head. u got me confused with MS and rrfpr. im plannin on runnin 24lb injectors unless anyone else has a diff recommendation. and im gonna do an inline walbro so i dont have to take down the gas tank. im just lookin for a replacement fuel rail so that it will look a little better. with all this work bein done on the engine i would like to make it look a little nicer.

Last edited by 3rd white; 04-24-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:43 AM
Nates_expresso
Professional

Mega Squirt (ms)
Map Clamp (mc)
Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator (rrfpr)

Do the intake walbro... Easy as nutz, seriously. dropping the tank is NOT a difficult task, and you'll be in a position to inspect your fuel filler neck, possibly address some rust also, at the same time.

~Nate

Old 04-24-2009, 01:49 AM
3rd white
Rookie

nice...any ideas where i can find a mega squirt kit and/or a map clamp.

ps. nate...modernperformance.com has injectors startin at 21lbs at $180 + shipping. i havent really looked anywhere else but i can pm u any results. either that or just let me know what size ur lookin to run and a buddy of mine may be able to get them cheaper. he runs a performance shop out by me.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:19 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you want to save some money then just use your stock fuel injectors.
i would reccomend the hahn racecraft map clamp...its $100 but its plug and play
find an AGP wastegate
the inline fuel pump will work just fine, but you will have to install a fuel retun line in the housing of the stock intank fuel pump

Old 04-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Nates_expresso
Professional

Wouldnt stock cause it to run too lean?
Thought you could use stock mustang injectors of a certin year for 24lbs (mucho cheaper then new since they upgrade also)

~Nate

Old 04-24-2009, 11:14 AM
dtjackten
2nd gen neon peace keeper

i have a half built ms2 for sale, prolly 150 plus shipping.... but ms2 i hear are not the best thing to run on the neons.... u could build it also as an ms 1 if u wanted to, just not put the top bord on.....

Old 04-24-2009, 02:45 PM
GLXRustang
Professional

So is an MS a piggy back for the pcm? If not, if you disconnect your pcm, will you lose cruise control, ABS, power windows etc? Doesnt the pcm do those things? (Noob question I know. I know ive asked this before...)

Quick Reply: goin turbo...got some questions