1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Broke H Balancer pulling it....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:21 PM
ldiablo233
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke H Balancer pulling it....

Last time I did this its cause I didn't know you put the bolt in half way and pressed of it(I thought the crankshaft stuck out all the way and you pushed off that). This time I just went to pull it off normally with the bolt halfway on, and it(tightly) started cranking once or twice. Well seeing as its dark and raining I must have been pushing on the socket wrong with my holding arm. I broke off one of the parts where the claw grabs. Now last time I cut the arms off most of the way and used those to put the claws on, but I had to jam the crankshaft to stop it from turning. Since the engine is in the car now I'd rather not have to pull the oil pan but seems its the only way to stop it from turning. I will heat it up if my friend has a butane torch but I've pulled this off twice before with no problem so I'm kinda pissed cause if I wouldv'e waited till the morning it would probably have come off fine.
Anyone ever do this and your solution?

I could always carefully cut the wheel at the crankshaft but that's risky business.

Hopefully my "get head resurfaced and only have half a day of car-down-time" still works out

Old 05-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

Go to harbor freight and buy an electric impact wrench... Or drive to someones place where an impact is avalible. That's the easiest way to get that bolt off...

~Nate

Old 05-01-2009, 08:23 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker

Harbor Freght is the shiznit, Already been there today for some torx bits. 2.99 for a T 40, 45, and 50. best place I know of for cheap tools at Harbor Freght. Sears wanted 6 something for one T 45 bit.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:25 PM
ldiablo233
Professional

You misunderstood it. Where the puller arm hooks the puller broke off. Non the less I got it off cutting it but yes HF is cool(although you gotta be careful with most of there products lol)

Old 05-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Nates_expresso
Professional

My bad, I misunderstood you

When you said "Now last time I cut the arms off most of the way and used those to put the claws on, but I had to jam the crankshaft to stop it from turning. Since the engine is in the car now I'd rather not have to pull the oil pan but seems its the only way to stop it from turning. I will heat it up if my friend has a butane torch"
I thought that ment it was turning, and your problem was keeping the engine from turning

~Nate

Old 05-03-2009, 02:04 AM
ldiablo233
Professional

Originally Posted by Nates_expresso
My bad, I misunderstood you

When you said "Now last time I cut the arms off most of the way and used those to put the claws on, but I had to jam the crankshaft to stop it from turning. Since the engine is in the car now I'd rather not have to pull the oil pan but seems its the only way to stop it from turning. I will heat it up if my friend has a butane torch"
I thought that ment it was turning, and your problem was keeping the engine from turning

~Nate
No, I just jam a prybar in there and it stays.

Quick Reply: Broke H Balancer pulling it....