1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

New Old Car 1995 Neon....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 01:07 PM
95_Neon_GT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Old Car 1995 Neon....

Ok so I just bought a 1995 Neon SOHC. It came with a header back exhaust, CAI, and the Ever so popular blown Rod Bearing option. I got another motor with it out of an Automatic seeing how mine is a 5 Speed, am I going to have to swap anything around from motor too motor? I've heard Rumors of there being differnt Cam Timing on the 5 Speed than Auto. My plan is a Rebuild with Heavier Clutch, High Compression Pistons (JE), AEM Cam Gears, Some head Porting, and the addition of a New Throttle Body, Performance Intake Manifold, and Header What is Recommended for the last 3?

This car has had the A/C, and Power Steering Deleted. So Underdrive Pulley won't make much differnce I'm Guessing? Thoughts on that?

I'm also getting a New Coil setup, MSD. Some people have said a Neon needs a Special Tach as well if so someone tell me how to set it up please. (I don't think that this is true but what do I know this is my first engine with less than 8 Cyliners that I've worked on performance wise). Odd enough My 5 Speed has no Tach in the dash and my buddies Auto has a Tach lol. So I want to add one to the dash.

Last edited by 95_Neon_GT; 05-03-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:36 PM
sabin420
Captain

alright, #1...good choice on the high compression...but if you really want power, go turbo. Only advantage of the high compression is a simpler engine bay. If the motor is out of a 96 or newer, just use the block and head. #2...Underdrive pulley...all it's good for is reducing rotating mass...it is lighter, if you are going full built race internals, i suggest it...#3 just an electronic tach, i got a small 3 1/2" mounted in the back left corner of the dash...no shift light...nothing special. connects to a grey wire i believe under the hood in the body wiring harness.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:57 AM
spudsterier
Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just find a guage cluster with a tach and put the hole setup in your car....its only 4 screws

the timing is the same for an auto and 5-speed

Old 05-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Altima_wb
Captain

you can very easily just add a gauge cluster from a neon with a tach... although some 95 neons without a tach didn't come with the wire for the tach so it may not work... i recommend just getting an aftermarket tach for it they are far more acurate anyway... and i though it always kinda looks gay if you got a factory tach and an aftermarket tach... just make sure the tach is setup for 4cly engines which most are setup for 4-6 or 8 just gotta change a jumper or switch or cut the right wires pretty simple.... with the mods your planing i would deff say get the underdrive pully seen as its a lot lighter which is where you gain most of the performance from anyway... as for the intake manifold there is always the indy manifold.... or you can port the stock one which is pretty good also.... there is also making your own people on here call it a ghettoblaster intake... from what i know of it you use the runners of the stock intake and make a plenum that bolts to them and makes it so the TB faces towards the battery instead of up towards the hood....

Last edited by Altima_wb; 05-04-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Quick Reply: New Old Car 1995 Neon....