1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

Dying at idle, need some ideas!

Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 PM
sabin420
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, there are codes that won't throw the light on. Could I also suggest maybe a vaccum leak at the brake booster? or will that turn the light on? I don't know, mine's backwards...if the check engine light goes off, it's about to break down on me.
If I'm not mistaking, wouldn't the fuel pump problem be more noticeable at higher rpm's demanding more fuel? Only a pressure problem, like too much could cause it to sputter and stall at Idle. A fix for the egr would be a blockoff plate...won't throw any codes either if done properly. www.modernperformance.com sells them too.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:44 PM
1st Gen
Professional

A leak at the brake booster would show in the form of a soft brake pedal.
I've been wondering about dirty injectors since this car has a poor filter system.
When I go to the j/y this week, I'm going to grab a spare TPS, EGR, and PCV to do some diagnostics. I'll post back when I know but I have to get the car back together and running before I can do anything on this front.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:05 PM
9R/T.4door8

your *** talking is possible...lol check for stored codes, the cel wont always kick on for evrything......

Old 05-31-2009, 07:49 PM
kabuk1
Professional

well i think the mystery may be solved guys. i havent had a chance to do the leak down test yet due to lack of finances, but today as i was driving down the highway the engine light came on. the car was driving just fine though so i got it home & checked the codes. 32 & 24. did some research & found that its the throttle position sensor & the egr valve.

i just have one question about the tps- how crucial is it to replace it asap? would a good cleaning help it? cause im super broke right now.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM
1st Gen
Professional

Originally Posted by kabuk1
well i think the mystery may be solved guys. i havent had a chance to do the leak down test yet due to lack of finances, but today as i was driving down the highway the engine light came on. the car was driving just fine though so i got it home & checked the codes. 32 & 24. did some research & found that its the throttle position sensor & the egr valve.

i just have one question about the tps- how crucial is it to replace it asap? would a good cleaning help it? cause im super broke right now.
What kind of car do you have? If it's a SOHC, they're a dime a dozen at the j/y. Just go and snag another one. If it's a DOHC, I grabbed one while I was at the j/y today and would be willing to sell it to you for $5+shipping. I'm buying a new one which will run about $90.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:12 PM
kabuk1
Professional

its a SOHC. ive got a junkyard trip planned for wednesday already, thanks though

Old 06-04-2009, 02:38 PM
1st Gen
Professional

I swapped out both the TPS and EGR so I don't know which one it was.
The stalling problem is gone now though. Good riddance too.

Oh yea, you'll need a torx wrench to remove the SOHC version. You'll be out of luck if you go to the j/y without one.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:24 PM
rreyes258
Wink

i had the same problem with my 95 2.0 sohc w/ auto. i had no codes and good fuel psi as well as a new pvc and still stalled at the stop sign..... found out that it ran great after i pulled the purge nipple line off the TB. i then narrowed it down to the TB or the purge valve or solonoid. i replaced the TB w/ a used clean one and it runs SWEET.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dying at idle, need some ideas!