1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

ac compressor continuously on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:38 AM
justinsanders
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac compressor continuously on?

should the ac compressor always be on when the ac is running or should it kick on and off? im asking because i have my compressor wired to a switch to lock the clutch. i couldnt get it to turn like it should by itself so i have a switch to turn it on when i want ac. i just leave it running all the time when im using it is this ok?

Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 AM
ldiablo233
Professional

The AC compressor is running all the time on the belt. I believe it has a clutch and engages the clutch to the compressor wheel when its switched on.. would be nice to know since my AC holds fine, but isn't cold. Are you saying the clutch is always engaged?

Old 05-23-2009, 12:22 AM
justinsanders
Captain

im asking if the clutch should always be engaged if the ac is running. since i have the clutch wired to a switch i was wondering if i should turn it on and off periodically while the ac is on so i dont overcharge the system or whatever. idk if i should just leave it on while im using the ac

Old 05-24-2009, 12:43 PM
12 volt
Record Breaker

the AC compressor is complety independent from the clutch. The only time it should be on is when you have your AC on, otherwise your just wasting gas and wearing out the compressor

Quick Reply: ac compressor continuously on?