1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

WHAT NOW SUCKA, project log

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:34 PM
berretta96
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT NOW SUCKA, project log

I'm finally going to do a project log....if you have comments or suggestion SPEAK UP :ireful:
the car is in the garage and apparently my wife thinks this is a new storage shelf. Pics of the car itself is coming soon!

SO, let me get you up to date.

I bought my Flame Red 96 Expresso Coupe (SOHC ATX) for $500 because it needed the ever famous speedo fixed and headgasket replaced. I started off N/A buy installing a K & N intake, pacesetter short tube header, magnaflow exhaust, msd coil, mopar wires, unorthadox UDP, megan racing test pipe, mopar performance ecm, APEXi Neo Gen

Through these bolt ons I was able to go from 92 whp to 122 (dynoed before and after). Next I swapped out the ATX for a 3:55 MTX. Along with a retune, I dynoed a whopping 132 whp and 138 lb of tq. Car was a lot funner to drive but still not worthy of racing.

I thought long and hard about wether or not I was ready to boost and finally started stockpiling some parts. I purchased a mattdog adaptor and srt turbofold and started the install (along with another couple dozen items LOL). I wasn't ever able to dynoe the car after it was boosted but I did tune it (via wideband) up to 8 PSI. The car was suddenlly FAST TO ME. I was very impressed with the car and shocked many others. After a few months, I started to get bored with the (assuming high 13 low 14 second) car.

NOW WHATS HAPPENING??? :shock:

I bought a 96 stratus engine that had broken a timing belt 60k miles. I also bought an 05 SRT engine that had thrown a rod 17k miles. So, now I have a good SRT head, SBEC block. I've stripped both blocks down to nothing. I will decide on internals when I find out how the stock bore is.

The srt head is currently at the machine shop http://www.moffittbratton.com/ getting the oil drain back port filled and drilled. Then it will undergoe a full race port and polish, including intake, exhaust, combo work, radius valve job. Once the head is prepped, I have BC springs and titanium retainers to install and BC stg 3 cams.
Name:  projectlog001.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  67.0 KB

The secret too big power will be via Garrett 57 trim .48 a/r. This will be mounted on an HP Racing stainless tubular manifold with a 38mm external wastegate.
Name:  projectlog003.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  65.8 KB
Name:  projectlog002.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  67.4 KB

Tuning will be handled by MegaSquirt. I had a custom plug and play harness built also.
Name:  projectlog004.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  58.7 KB

I'll take some engine pics as I put it back together...

Last edited by berretta96; 05-27-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:39 PM
DOHCgarrett t3
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tell your wife if she is not good to her (the car) she (your wife) will end up on the shelf.

GO REDWINGS

Quick Reply: WHAT NOW SUCKA, project log