1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

High Rev Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:58 AM
oobical
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Rev Problem

I have a 1995 Dodge Neon 5-Speed SOHC all stock, new plugs, wires, injectors, battery, computer, 3.0l custom intake stock throttle body. I start the car, no problem rattles a bit on first start, (Dry Start Most Likely) I press the gas and go and when I let off the car stays around 2,000RPM until I let the motor die down, when I tap the gas it tachs up again and takes about 5-6 seconds to go back to normal. This is a huge problem when you shift gears. I have no check engine lights or any lights coming on at all. And now the fan is running constantly.

Any suggestions?

Old 06-19-2009, 11:41 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the inside of your throttle body. My girlfriend had a similar problem on her car and it was due to there being so much carbon build up in the throttle body that it was actually sticking part of the way open. i put a can of seafoam through it and no problems since So check and see how dirty that is...

Old 06-19-2009, 11:43 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

i almost forgot to type check for vacuum leaks to also around the pcv going into the intake

Old 06-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Moparmatt440
Veteran

x2 ^, sounds like tb, clean it out with the seafoam or what ever you want to use. If that works and idles good, go get a can of combustion cleaner from the dealer (it works great), with the car idleing, spray into the tb, might need to uncover where the throttle cable hooks up to the tb in case it starts to die but dont rev high just about 800-900 rpms, spray the whole can in, when its all in shut the car off, let sit for about 5-6 mins start car up and go for a drive. Now white smoke will come out and it might buck a bit, but its okay its cleaning it out, take it for a good hard run when safe, the cel may come on but its okay, it will clear by itself, might need to unplug the neg terminal for 20sec then reconnect.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:29 AM
oobical
Amateur

how do you seafoam a tb? I was told pour part in the oil, part in the gas, and part suck it in through the vac line on the brake booster.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:40 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

take your intake off at the throttle body then hold the throttle at around 1000rmps then pour it in slowley it will boog down your motor and smoke like crazy out the exhaust this is completly normal just do this for the duration of the bottle then if you do kill it just let it sit for five minutes. then start it up again and finish off the bottle. then take it for a drive like MOPARMATT said dont worry bout a cel (check engine light) it will go off

Quick Reply: High Rev Problem