1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

SSB and SBA steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 05:18 PM
bsiebert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSB and SBA steering

So the rack went on my 1995 Dodge Neon along with the tie rod on the passenger side. Ive been looking for replacement racks for it. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and got quotes on prices. Well I'm looking at the pieces of paper and it reads like this.

Reman: Complete Unit: Power Steering: w/Standard Steering (SBA); Chrysler Corp Sales Codes are on the "Body Code" plate --------------- 108.00
Reman: Complete Unit: Poower Steering: w/Firm Feel Steering (SBB); Chrysler Copr. Sales Codes are on the "Body Code" plate --------------168.88

My dilemma is, the car never came with power steering, its a manual rack, no power steering pump on it. I'm wondering if the Standard Steering (SBA) is the one i should order or if i should order the Firm Feel Steering (SBB). IMO the SBA steering seems like the one i should order. By the way the counter person had no clue. Alls i need is a simple manual rack, but as you can see they both say "Power Steering" maybe theres a typo. If anyone has any input on this I would really appreciate it. Im a college student and depend on my car ALOT. I really should buy a new one since Ive been throwin so much money at it lately. How many manual tranmissions have you heard of going out on these cars, well mine decided to a month ago, cracked the case in half. But neways thanks in advance.

Old 03-20-2005, 03:19 AM
RayDog26
All Star
Default RE: SSB and SBA steering

tbh i don't think u can put a power steering pump in a car that doesn't have one already... maybe they messed up ?? i dunno hopefully some one can help you more.. you could call the dealer and ask too.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:39 AM
casper
Legend

By what you posted they either looked up the wrong part or don't sell it. You can't use a power steering rack on a car without power steering. You can put power steering on the car if you get all the belts, hoses and mounts.

Old 03-21-2005, 04:44 PM
bsiebert

Yea, i know i can put all the power steering components on the car, thats just a lot more work than finding a manual rack would be. I called a junk yard and they are pulling me one today and im gona put it in tomorrow. Along with Tie Rods and Ball Joints! Thanks for the help guys! I hate Dodge dealers. I cant ever seem to get a straight answer from the ones here in Duluth, its always "if you buy this than you can..........". I dont want to buy parts from them! I might as well bend over and give an invite to them if i did that, outrageuos prices for stock parts. Im still kind of interested to know the difference between the Standard Steering (SBA) and the Firm Steering (SBB) though.

Old 03-22-2005, 03:19 AM
casper
Legend

Probally one was for the nornal neon, the other for the ACR and R/T.

Old 03-27-2005, 08:04 AM
RadarLove
Record Breaker

My guess is you got the base model with the base steering/suspension (22:1 steering ratio - manual only), which was only available for the 1995 model year and the part was superceded with the "touring" steering (18:1 - power assist) that was available on Highlines. The R/T's and ACR's had a 16:1 (power assist) whether or not they actually came with power stering (many ACR's did not).

Another option you could have gone with is a manual rack from a Shadow (firm feel) that had a 14:1 ratio. Typically cheaper... Wicked tight though, and a bit of a struggle without power steering...

Best of luck!

Quick Reply: SSB and SBA steering